Can't find anybody around here that repairs windshield cracks

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by Donald
Video on fixing cracked windshield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bICV_IOvbl4

People are so self absorbed when they post stupid videos like this. I'm not referring to you Donald.

What's even worse are the videos posted by idiots who blow up perfectly good engines in an attempt to see if they'll run on maple syrup.

Scott

I posted this as a joke. Don't try this at home.

Originally Posted by Cujet

People are so self absorbed when they post stupid videos like this. I'm not referring to you Donald.
What's even worse are the videos posted by idiots who blow up perfectly good engines in an attempt to see if they'll run on maple syrup.
Scott

I laughed and gave him a thumbs up.

Gotta put the duct tape on the INSIDE so it doesn't affect the wipers...DUHHH!!
;^)

1976 Ford E100 van @ >180K: One unexpected bonus I experienced with a replaced windshield was.....

the absence of the myriad rock dings and "normal chips" aka mileage marks. The clarity was AMAZING!

I mean AHH-MAY-ZING.

Originally Posted by Kira
1976 Ford E100 van @ >180K: One unexpected bonus I experienced with a replaced windshield was.....

the absence of the myriad rock dings and "normal chips" aka mileage marks. The clarity was AMAZING!

I mean AHH-MAY-ZING.

Better mileage due to a smoother windshield, less restricting air flow? I would guess at least 20%

I mean AHH-MAY-ZING.

Yeah, I always carry comprehensive with 0 deductible for glass. It seems every 5-10 years you get some damage to the windshield. I did have a crack in my Mercedes windshield not too long ago. By the next day it had already spread a dollar's worth so it was too late to get it repaired. I think the invoice on the new one was over $500. That damage came from a rock that got kicked up on the highway.

If the cost of a crack vs a new windshield is the same, the new windshield is always better. It just looks so clear.

Another vote for get a new windshield
smile.gif

Exactly, not to mention the duct tape will collect dirt and grit on the outside of the vehicle. To minimize this, use the tape on the inside where it (may be) cleaner.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Cujet

Scott

I laughed and gave him a thumbs up.

Gotta put the duct tape on the INSIDE so it doesn't affect the wipers...DUHHH!!
;^)

If it's nice, untouched factory glass and you want to try to repair it, I get that. The problem with aftermarket glass is a lot of it is crap and installation was done horribly. I've seen the aftermath of some Safelite jobs that would make your head spin. I'm not saying they're all bad, it's just I'd rather go to a place I know and trust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
If it's nice, untouched factory glass and you want to try to repair it, I get that. The problem with aftermarket glass is a lot of it is crap and installation was done horribly. I've seen the aftermath of some Safelite jobs that would make your head spin. I'm not saying they're all bad, it's just I'd rather go to a place I know and trust.

When I had Safelite replace the windshield on our POS MB C-class, they accidentally cut the wires that ran to the rear view mirror and rain sensor for the wipers. Problem was, the wiring loom is a single piece that is glued to the headliner and runs down either the B-pillar or C-plilar.

Instead of removing the windshield and R&R the headliner, I bought the entire loom and spliced things together. Fortunately, in the days of milliamps, etc, the spiced connections worked. But to Safelite's credit they paid for the wiring loom. But still, it shouldn't have happened. After all, that's what they do for a living. The tech had no idea the wires ran to that location.

Scott

Originally Posted by atikovi
No and not yet.

Tell me about your Saturn Vue- I have a 2004 Vue , V6 AWD that has a serious rust spot only in ONE place, but it killed the engine cradle support and nobody will fix it. 168k miles but the engine runs like a dream, burns no oil. I wish I could find a 2004 Vue with a blown engine as this would be a perfect donor vehicle.

Black 2006 Redline with 96,000 miles. New timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, plugs, filters, front brake pads and rotors, rear drums and shoes, rear wheel bearings and hub, rear shocks, tires, etc. Needs the front bumper cover replaced.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I mean AHH-MAY-ZING.

Yeah, I always carry comprehensive with 0 deductible for glass. It seems every 5-10 years you get some damage to the windshield. I did have a crack in my Mercedes windshield not too long ago. By the next day it had already spread a dollar's worth so it was too late to get it repaired. I think the invoice on the new one was over $500. That damage came from a rock that got kicked up on the highway.

If the cost of a crack vs a new windshield is the same, the new windshield is always better. It just looks so clear.

Not to derail but that glass coverage is a rip off. As often as it happens you are money ahead to have the glass coverage taken off and pay out of pocket with as cheap as glass is. I have had to argue with a safelite guy that I did not have glass coverage and was going to pay for it myself.

Originally Posted by jhellwig

I mean AHH-MAY-ZING.

Not to derail but that glass coverage is a rip off. As often as it happens you are money ahead to have the glass coverage taken off and pay out of pocket with as cheap as glass is. I have had to argue with a safelite guy that I did not have glass coverage and was going to pay for it myself.

That depends. On a newer car with all the technology today, replacing a windshield is a major expense. My Mazda CX-5 windshield was well over $900 to replace.

Originally Posted by jhellwig

I mean AHH-MAY-ZING.

It was a 2008 Mercedes E-350. Has the rain sensor. Even the previous Ford Taurus was in the 2-3 hundred range. Current insurance doesn't have an option to drop glass coverage. Only dropped if you drop comprehensive. I'd save $16 a year if I lowered the glass coverage to a $100 deductible. Had the car about 5 years and already one windshield so I think I'm ahead having no deductible. Would have to go 6+ years to break even on the $16 savings.

Maybe,

We had the windshield replaced on our 2017 Rav4 and the glass place said wait to see if you even need re-calibration. The auto-dim headlights worked just fine as there were enough marks on the new windshield to fit the camera.

I'm not saying re-calibration is always unnecessary. What I'm saying is if you have a good, experienced technician, it may not be needed, saving quite a bit on the replacement.

Probably depends on the car as well. But our replacement was easily less than 1/2 of your $1000 figure and the lights and cruise control seem to still work as they did before.

New cars with sensors in the windshield area are going to be over $1000 to have a windshield replaced and the sensor calibrated.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Black 2006 Redline with 96,000 miles. New timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, plugs, filters, front brake pads and rotors, rear drums and shoes, rear wheel bearings and hub, rear shocks, tires, etc. Needs the front bumper cover replaced.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

That looks like the Redline Edition Vue. I think the front bumper cover might be different ? I always liked the V6 Vues- good basic SUV that was pretty quick, but got no love from the public.

Back