Canadians ... NAPA Jack Stand DANGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Federal agency responsible for Consumer affairs has released a Recall Notice for Jack Stands sold by NAPA across Canada.

The welds are defective and can fail, causing the jack stand to collapse and the supported vehicle to fall on the user.

See:
http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2016/58266r-eng.php

If this particular product was also sold elsewhere, it is the "Evercraft Jack Stand" with specific serial numbers sold from July of last year to the present. Not sure if they were also sold by NAPA elsewhere or a different reseller.

NAPA....they keep America running (out from under the car before it crushes them)...

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Place of origin

Manufactured in China.
You didn't even need to read the article to know that was the case. These companies are sorry. Not only do they outsource to save money. They then cheapen the product spec to save even more. Sheep are happily buying this junk so I guess why not.

When I was young my grandaddy would honk at every NAPA truck until they stopped and lowered their window. He would yell, "SIR! YOU LEFT YOUR HAT ON TOP OF YOUR TRUCK!", and drive away laughing his butt off.

I never rely on just jackstands alone when I'm under a car. Always have redundancy, usually a jack on the side of the car I'm working under.

Wonder if the mfg'r was being proactive and asked for a recall, or if someone got hurt/killed for this to happen.

everyone in the manufacturing, distribution, and sales chain should be held liable. how is the average sheep supposed to validate the materials specifications, weld quality, and load testing results of some products?

thanks for the "heads up".
the same manufacturer is likely selling via multiple sales channels and brand names.

Last edited:
^Those look EXACTLY like the Pittsburgh ones from Harbor Freight-I have a pair (that don't get used very often, only when both ends of a car have to be off the ground), I'm going to take a close look at them!

Like many people, I avoid Chinese products. It's not worth the small amount of money you save. If money is an issue, buy used.

Originally Posted By: dmdx86
Wonder if the mfg'r was being proactive and asked for a recall, or if someone got hurt/killed for this to happen.

The report states no incidents or injuries reported.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
^Those look EXACTLY like the Pittsburgh ones from Harbor Freight-I have a pair (that don't get used very often, only when both ends of a car have to be off the ground), I'm going to take a close look at them!

Been using my HF jackstands for 5 years now on everything from my Mustang to 3/4 ton Super Duty's with no issues. Sure hope it stays that way!

Originally Posted By: dmdx86
I never rely on just jackstands alone when I'm under a car. Always have redundancy, usually a jack on the side of the car I'm working under.

+1 Under the pinch weld is a good place to slide the (removed) tire, maybe add a substantial piece of wood if there's too much gap.

I have Harbor Freight jack stands, but they're 6 ton ones. Better to go big IMO. My brother's Jeep sat on them for over a year, no issues. I even use them on the 1970 VW Beetle! It weighs 1,800 pounds tops, and I'm only lifting half the car at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back