Can you bump start a manual car that has push button start?

Have you checked YouTube to see if anyone else has already tried this?

I am adding your question to my long list of reasons to avoid push button start vehicles.

My 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport has a 6 speed manual and a push button start as does my wife's Audi.
I just tried my Elantra and yes, it starts. I had to put the car in the run mode by pressing the button twice without pushing in on the clutch. Then I coasted it out of the driveway, popped the clutch and it started.
I was about to say that too - put the car in ignition on mode(press the start button twice without clutching or applying the brake) and attempt to push start - as long as the PCM can fire the plugs and injections when it senses the engine is cranking.

I was about to say that too - put the car in ignition on mode(press the start button twice without clutching or applying the brake) and attempt to push start - as long as the PCM can fire the plugs and injections when it senses the engine is cranking.

As long as there isn't an anti-theft immobilizer.

Good way to test all this would be to get the car ready/ign-on then run a jumper to the starter solenoid, and see if it "takes".

As long as there isn't an anti-theft immobilizer.

Good way to test all this would be to get the car ready/ign-on then run a jumper to the starter solenoid, and see if it "takes".
If there was an immobilizer, you can’t initiate the IG-ON sequence.

since the automakers except for Tesla practice security through obscurity, a immobilizer can be cloned if you grab the key/key fob’s coding scheme. That’s how aftermarket remote starts are able to start a car it’s installed to - the interface module “learns” the key’s algorithm and master seed value.

You bring back memories of my '66 Nova with a powerglide. Won many a wager that it could be push started from unbelievers who thought all automatics could not.
We push started my grandmothers 64 Rambler when the battery died and that was an automatic. I guess it still had enough to get the alternator energized.

One thing I noticed if you push start a car...if the battery is shot because of old age and it won't take a charge, be prepared for some strange behavior like:

1)Engine misfires for a split second when you turn on the headlights

2)Car stalls out when you're stopped and the electric cooling fans come on

It seems that a functional battery is absolutely critical to keeping the system voltage stable when loads are turned on.

Back