Can we talk cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that people who drive status symbol type cars solely BECAUSE they are status symbols are shallow and trend towards being "compensators".

However, some people appreciate and enjoy expensive cars for the sake of the performance/comfort/etc, and I just view those people who prefer more expensive cars. Sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar.

Here we can see two people's vehicle choices, neither of which have anything to "compensate" for, but their choices in vehicles are extreme opposites:

They correlated personality traits and car buying preferences. Does it really surprise you in the results?

They are not saying ALL of MB, Audi, BMW drivers are jerks. They were more correlating that people with such personality traits as jerks/breaking traffic laws tend to buy the luxury cars.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I think that people who drive status symbol type cars solely BECAUSE they are status symbols are shallow and trend towards being "compensators".

However, some people appreciate and enjoy expensive cars for the sake of the performance/comfort/etc, and I just view those people who prefer more expensive cars. Sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar.

Here we can see two people's vehicle choices, neither of which have anything to "compensate" for, but their choices in vehicles are extreme opposites:

I don't care that my car is fancy. I wanted 4 doors, comfortable, and V8 power. My only other option was a Dodge Charger. But I didn't want FCA headaches, so I decided on my Genesis.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Ws6

I don't care that my car is fancy. I wanted 4 doors, comfortable, and V8 power. My only other option was a Dodge Charger. But I didn't want FCA headaches, so I decided on my Genesis.

Nothing wrong with that imo. I hear those things are a hoot to drive. ðŸ‘

I could go status symbol vehicle if it was practical and fit my wants and needs but it would have to be a good value. I don't like wasting $ or paying too much.

Softtop Rover Defender with a third row for $15,000 ?

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bachman
I could go status symbol vehicle if it was practical and fit my wants and needs but it would have to be a good value. I don't like wasting $ or paying too much.

grin2.gif

Rover never made a car called a Defender.
You are thinking of Land Rover - an entirely separate company. They were bought by the UK government and amalgamated in an attempt to save the UK car industry but they were never the same company.

VW own both Skoda and Bugatti, but nobody will try and argue that they are the same car or company.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Good thing my 2019 Challenger R/T Shaker 5.7/6 speed manual isn't a luxury car. It's just a extension of me being a gear head.
cheers3.gif

I saw one exactly like yours take off from a red light with a puff of blue smoke from each tail pipe. That's not a good sign, especially for a 2019 car.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Good thing my 2019 Challenger R/T Shaker 5.7/6 speed manual isn't a luxury car. It's just a extension of me being a gear head.
cheers3.gif

I saw one exactly like yours take off from a red light with a puff of blue smoke from each tail pipe. That's not a good sign, especially for a 2019 car.

Wow. Wild.

cheers3.gif

Red light and puff of blue smoke - Sounds Patriotic to me !!
34.gif

Originally Posted by Olas

grin2.gif

Rover never made a car called a Defender.
You are thinking of Land Rover - an entirely separate company. They were bought by the UK government and amalgamated in an attempt to save the UK car industry but they were never the same company.

VW own both Skoda and Bugatti, but nobody will try and argue that they are the same car or company.

OOPS !

L Rover
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
People who pigeon hole other's based on the cars they drive are pompous nincompoops.

Ouch! They say the truth hurts.

People are always worried about what others are doing when they should be worried about themselves first.

When I bought my sig car in August of 05 I got it because I wanted it. It was never intended to impress others. Just like Nick, I wanted a larger car with the performance envelope of a smaller one. I got it in spades!

cheers3.gif

Somebody probably significantly overfilled the crankcase if it was that new.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I think your car is awesome.... Hopefully whenever the time comes .. . I can find one too
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Red light and puff of blue smoke - Sounds Patriotic to me !!
34.gif

Only if there was also some white smoke from a head gasket coolant leak into the cylinders.
laugh.gif

grin2.gif

Add another zero...
grin.gif

..or do the 'jerk...less empathetic...' traits also tend to predict some towards success and the associated lifestyle; higher end cars, etc.? Interesting potential correlation though, but the article does seem to hint at envy a bit.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

grin2.gif

Add another zero...
grin.gif

I knew I'd get someone's attention.
Puts it right there with the G Wagon sorta
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back