Can JB Weld fix this?

This is the muffler heat shield on my wife’s 09 RAV4. It started rattling recently and is hanging on by one bolt. A replacement is >$60 at the nearest Toyota dealer, assuming those bolts will even come out without shearing off. What are the chances I could get it to stick by sanding the contact areas, smearing it with JB Weld and wedging it in place until it hardens?

Or, alternatively, just removing it entirely? I’m hesitant to do that because I assume that if it weren’t needed they wouldn’t have installed it.

Or maybe just bolt in a cookie sheet LOL?

92236279-2756-42F2-B9BF-6180D65B3376.jpeg

Is it worth trying to get the nut off with some penetrating oil and perhaps a torch? Then, if you can get the nut off, you can hole the heat shield in place with a fender washer.

The JB Weld may be a second choice.

Is it rattling? If me, I’d rather have the shield there and not secured, as long as it’s not making noise.

I've dealt with that same situation a few times. If the fastener will come out of the body, use a big fender washer on it to take up the space of the hole in the shield. If that's a no go, self tapping screws with washers will work, but at that point on my own vehicles, I just remove the shield.

I did the same on a friend's daughters' Wrangler a few years ago except I also used a wider 'washer' of aluminum sheet under the steel washers to spread out the load a bit more then gave it all a shot of BoeShield given the differing metals.

I've re-attached loose heat shields using pop rivets, but that assumes there is a channel or some other shape that I can drill into for the rivets. I would not recommend drilling into a flat floor pan.

Back