Can I add a second zone to one hvac system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Yeah downstairs there is only one vent that blows good. There are only three vents downstairs btw. Also the vents upstairs all put out tons of air.

yeah, go over the ducts really careful, you very well may find a adjust lever sticking out someplace in any duct that you can open up and let more air flow to those other vents. Based on your post this very well maybe the case. Sometimes it can be a challenge finding it, if there is one, depending on the type, there most likely is just a little lever sticking out someplace which allows you to change the airflow. Alot of times its covered with insulation or duct sealing, so you have to feel around where it might be.

This is one example to give a general idea as to what I am talking about. When we moved into our home, new at the time, our Master needed just a little more air and they installed one in the flex duct to slightly close off one area of the house and force more air to the master. At the same time, you may have one leading to the ductwork in the basement that is closed off or slightly closed off.

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

Then there are others like below or just do an image search for "air balancers"

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

Of course if you dont have flex duct it will be sticking out of the metal duct work someplace. they are really hard to find, even I know where they installed ours and its still hard to find *L*

Last edited:
I found them. They installed them right by the unit. I cant tell which way is open and which way is closed though. I'm going to assume it's lime a ball valve on a pipe. 90 degrees is closed and if it is pointed am the same direction as the ductwork, then it's open.

Try playing around with them, figure out which one goes to 2nd floor.
Once. you find the one, close it halfway and see if anything changes because that is the question, which way is closed. Your thinking is correct but may not be. I dont know.

Anyway, if the basement is wide open and the second floor is closed a little bit, this will force more air into the basement.
Of course, make sure there are no others anyplace and no restrictions in the duct work.

You always want to make sure you are not restricting airflow too much. But too much is not too much if you are just forcing air to the lower vents. you just need to make sure nothing else is blocking those vents.

IN summer you will want to do things in reverse, since cold air sinks, you will want the 2nd floor open as much as possible.

Curious, let me know how you made out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
There is no basement, the house is up on stilts.

Oh duh ... was on my first cup of coffee, but you can replace "basement" with wherever the ducts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back