Can Fuel treatment cleaner help with fuel pump's longevity?

I have a 2001 Pontiac grand prix with 117K miles, I never changed my fuel pump. Does using Techron complete system cleaner help with longevity of a fuel pump?

Does the additive manufacturer say that it does?
Yes. " Maximize fuel economy, Restore lost power and performance, Restore and protect operation of the fuel gauge sensor"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614-123953.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-123953.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 10
I have a 2001 Pontiac grand prix with 117K miles, I never changed my fuel pump. Does using Techron complete system cleaner help with longevity of a fuel pump?

I have an opinion, yet I cant prove my opinion, LOL

I will say that from what I have heard from mechanics, opinion again, never let your fuel tank go below a quarter of a tank.

If you see anything related to longevity of the fuel pump then maybe we are looking at two different things.
You are right, I should have rephrased, I meant does it help with the performance and longevity of the fuel gauge sensor. The problem is if that sensor goes bad most mechanics recommend changing the whole fuel pump assembly.

I've seen many references to them cleaning up a fuel sending unit and returning it to function. I have a car that had a wacky guage and after running several bottles of Techron through it, the gauge started acting right again. I can't say that it was the Techron for sure, make of it what you will.

The best thing you can do for your fuel pump is not to run the fuel in the tank below 1/4. A new fuel filter changed when you are supposed also is good. Save the money on a fuel additive and buy a gallon of gas instead.

Any additives you put in the gas will help clean out any gum, that has formed from possibly not being run for long periods. It won't do anything to help the pump if it was run without gas in the tank, of if it picked up rust. I had my fuel pump replaced a while back, and my Explorer had over 250k miles on it, so I can't complain. Additive's can help clean out fuel injectors if they get sticky, again from sitting or sour gas.,,,

There may be a slight chance that the fuel cleaner will loosen or disolve some gunk in the tank filter (part of the fuel pump assy on most newer models) or fuel filter down line and reduce some back pressure making the pump work a little less hard. That is a far shot but just thinking of SOME reason it could extend the life of a fuel pump lol

You are right, I should have rephrased, I meant does it help with the performance and longevity of the fuel gauge sensor. The problem is if that sensor goes bad most mechanics recommend changing the whole fuel pump assembly.
Both of my vehicles that had the pump changed was because of the gauge acting up. Both around 150k. Ford and Cadillac.

I've seen many references to them cleaning up a fuel sending unit and returning it to function. I have a car that had a wacky guage and after running several bottles of Techron through it, the gauge started acting right again. I can't say that it was the Techron for sure, make of it what you will.
My Sierra had a wacky gauge. After a fill up it would only read 3/4ish then after a while it would jump up to full and stay there like it was stuck for days then all of sudden it would read 1/2. If I let it go down past 1/4 and made a turn or come to a fast stop the gauge would disappear below empty. I tried two bottles of Techron in one 32 gallon tank, when that didn't work I put in a double dose of Star Tron, towards the end of that tank it started working like is should. I continued with the Star Tron until it was gone, that has been at least two years and it is still working. I'm guessing it was the float sticking but it could have been the sensor.

Who knows. I did read a TSB or something years ago from GM that said Chevron Techron was the only in tank treatment that could clean the injectors in my 98 Silverado. I don't know if it's true but I've used Techron sporadically over the years in this truck and I'm still running the original injectors. I did replace the fuel pump years ago when the truck had around 36,000 miles on it because the pump was super loud and I figured it was on it's way out. The replacement Delco pump is still in it at 142,000 miles and I always fill the gas tank at 1/4 tank.

It didn't work for correcting the incorrect gas gauge level in the cluster even after a double dose.

The best thing you can do for your fuel pump is not to run the fuel in the tank below 1/4. A new fuel filter changed when you are supposed also is good. Save the money on a fuel additive and buy a gallon of gas instead.
In older cars, replacing the fuel filter helps protect the injectors but less pressure pushing through it is always a good thing.

New cars have returnless fuel systems but the 1/4 tank rule works still to keep the pump cool. The fuel pump in modern cars is in a module and submerged in fuel at all times - unless you run the pickup dry.

Back