Can Amsoil really go 20K+ miles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
Thanks for the input guys. I will run the oil for 15,000 miles and do a UOA. It will take several months to get that many miles but when I get it done I'll post the results here in the correct forum.

Thanks again.

thumbsup2.gif
Awesome...

You could even revive this old thread when you have the results so that we can discuss it here with all the history in tact. Just keep note of the address in the address bar to make finding it again, easy.

why do extended oci?
avoid the hassle of an oilchange? or just for the morbid nature to see how far u can extend that oil?
for the op driving habits it makes sense, one less thing to worry about.

extended oci failed badly in my blowby queen acorrd v6 when I was driving 1k miles a week.

economic sense would dictate reasonable oci with any syn oil. but there is no fun in being sensible ;-)

Originally Posted By: stockrex
why do extended oci?
avoid the hassle of an oilchange? or just for the morbid nature to see how far u can extend that oil?
for the op driving habits it makes sense, one less thing to worry about.

extended oci failed badly in my blowby queen acorrd v6 when I was driving 1k miles a week.

economic sense would dictate reasonable oci with any syn oil. but there is no fun in being sensible ;-)

If you were driving 1 thousand miles per week, you should have b een a perfect candidate for extended OCI's, with an appropriate synthetic oil. What OCI were you using, and what oil was it that failed you, and how did it fail you?

Back in the day, I began to use Mobil 1, must have been in the mid 70's. They said it was good for one year or 25,000 miles, and I took them at their word, doing this OCI until I retired back in 2001. My usual yearly mileage was 18,000 to 20,000 miles. Never had an oil related problem, or any problem, with any of my engines during that period, altho I never was one to keep a car forever. About 140,000 miles was as high as I ever kept one, but that engine was perfectly clean and quiet at 140,000 miles and 7 years. Naturally, I knew that M1 had dropped the 25,000 mile OCI claim after people tried to run 25,000 miles without checking their oil levels and ruined their engines and blamed M1. My cars usually used two or 3 quarts in 20,000 miles.

My usual question, observing that M1 is now marketing M1 EP and claiming only a 15,000 mile OCI, is: What did they do to original M1 to make it no longer good for 25,000 miles? When I retired, my yearly mileage dropped to about 6,000 miles, and I went back to using regular dino oil. Lately, I have upped my driving to about 10,000 miles a year, and have gone back to Mobil 1, using M1 High Mileage oil, which is still an SL formulation which I prefer. I have the 10W30 weight in my vehicle right now, and I plan on changing to the new 5W30 when it becomes available.

I'm thinking that testing and issues with customers made Mobil cut the OCI from 25,000 miles, and stay that way. I think even today they realize that 25,000 miles is a little too much for probably 95% of the vehicles on the road, and would rather not have the headaches. Besides how many new car companies suggest a 25,000 mile OCI? Since some of the other oil companies don't have API certifications on their products they can be a little more bold in their statments, then deal with issues on a case by case basis if and when they arise. I'm thinking Mobil doesn't want that hassle, especially with the high volume of product sales and large market share they have.

Under perfect conditions, and a UOA to back it up maybe Mobil 1EP can do the 25,000 OCI.

AD

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
2001 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3L. Since the first oil change when new I have used a full syn oil like Amsoil, Redline or PP......I even used Royal Purple once. Last week, at 145,000 miles, I put in Amsoil 5W-30 and the EA oil filter that Amsoil recommends. I sell real estate in the metro Atlanta area so I drive a fair amount in southern heat and Atlanta traffic. I usually change the oil at 10,000 miles but this time I want to push it to 20,000 miles. Since I am using the EA filter - with a FilterMag - can I go the extra miles? I know the bottle says the oil is good for 25,000 miles or one year but is this marketing or truth? Anyone out there actually run Amsoil the full 25,000 miles with the same EA filter? My Amsoil direct jobber that I buy from says the EA filter is fantastic and that going the 20,000 miles is nothing for that oil / filter combo.

Any input is appreciated.

I have never run Amsoil so I am merely speaking on what I have seen, heard, and read over the years both as a car nut, hot rodder, and someone who has worked in the automotive field( dealers, afetrmarket, etc... )in regards to their products and claims.

Amsoil says their oil( specific line not all of them )will go a year and 25K and there are many, many, people have done it successfuly. So, the answer is yes it "can" go 1 year and/or 25K. "WILL" it be able to so in your application, safely, however is the question?

The only way for you to know that is to do a UOA starting around 10-12K and see what kind of shape it is in. I personally would never run ANY oil over 10-15K and I sure as heck would NEVER run a filter for 25K. It has been done however so it is possible to do. That does not mean it is safe or advisable to do in every situation and in any application however. I do not believe in blanket statements.

Your call on trying it as you are the one who will be putting a new motor in if it wasn't up to a year and 25K in your application. I don't put much stock in their warranty nor similar warranties from other companies( not singling them out - speaking in general terms ). In my experience companies that offer these warranties are very good at finding a way out of covering things when problems arise.

Buyer beware is a very good moto to live by.

Last edited:
the accords excess blowby and fuel dilution was killing the oil. I went dino with 3 to 4k oci, perrrrfect.
now this all based on buttdino, and also the fact that I drive same route, same speed, same # of stops every week with the same vehicle, kinda like ground hog day ;-)

Typically with Amsoil products I never try to do the big guaranteed "UP TO" number on the front of the bottle anymore. They're severe service recommendation is usually spot on for most gasoline applications (i.e. minus the evil coolant leaks or fuel dilution issues that plague some models). We've UOA'd a few 5.3 Chevy V8's on SSO that made 17.5k with room to spare (these are posted). No way would I push farther than that without UOA's.

From my standpoint Mobil1 EP and ASL/ATM are in about the same boat for drain intervals...wouldn't go past 15k miles without a serious health check with either of those oils! Now if one were to drain a quart out and put a quart in at the severe service interval you could most likely push on, but at that point if you are touching the drain plug you might as well do the full service. EAO's are tough filters though and I would not be hesitant to run them for back to back 10,000 mile runs within a year (i.e. just a drain and fill). Good luck with your extended drain journey. Leaving the wasteful 3 month 3,000 mile mindless service (even if it's just pushing out to 5,000 miles) is a good practice
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: pickled
Now if one were to drain a quart out and put a quart in at the severe service interval you could most likely push on, but at that point if you are touching the drain plug you might as well do the full service.

I've often thought about doing a partial drain and refill, similar to what you've mentioned here, only aided by a Fumoto valve. Lets say you run 10,000 miles, then drain 1-2 qts of oil and run it another few thousand miles basing it on UOA data. It could save some time and money. I'm a long time lurker thinking out loud, and wonder if anyone has done anything like that?

AD

after hearing about all the people who dont change their oil much or just add, why not go 25 k?...i never would, 8k is my max on syn

Quote:
Typically with Amsoil products I never try to do the big guaranteed "UP TO" number on the front of the bottle anymore. They're severe service recommendation is usually spot on for most gasoline applications (i.e. minus the evil coolant leaks or fuel dilution issues that plague some models). We've UOA'd a few 5.3 Chevy V8's on SSO that made 17.5k with room to spare (these are posted). No way would I push farther than that without UOA's.

How many people here are anywhere near condemnation levels on a lubricant? Not too many at all. Most fret over a tick in noise levels. If you strictly went on TBN/TAN OXI-NIT numbers ..with attention to airborne dirt infiltration ..flash and fuel numbers ..how much longer would some people be able to go?

Everyone here is mostly into how big or how many safety margins they have.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Originally Posted By: Pablo
....and pay the $25 for the UOA.

Please pay $42 total so you can get a TBN and TAN, too. You're driving lots of miles, really testing the oil.

$42 buys 5 quarts of M1 EP, a nice oil filter, and you still have $5 left in your pocket.

Instead of doing that UOA with TBN/TAN, why not just change the oil at 10-15k intervals with M1EP and not worry about increased engine wear with AMSoil run out to 25k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back