Can Amsoil really go 20K+ miles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3L. Since the first oil change when new I have used a full syn oil like Amsoil, Redline or PP......I even used Royal Purple once. Last week, at 145,000 miles, I put in Amsoil 5W-30 and the EA oil filter that Amsoil recommends. I sell real estate in the metro Atlanta area so I drive a fair amount in southern heat and Atlanta traffic. I usually change the oil at 10,000 miles but this time I want to push it to 20,000 miles. Since I am using the EA filter - with a FilterMag - can I go the extra miles? I know the bottle says the oil is good for 25,000 miles or one year but is this marketing or truth? Anyone out there actually run Amsoil the full 25,000 miles with the same EA filter? My Amsoil direct jobber that I buy from says the EA filter is fantastic and that going the 20,000 miles is nothing for that oil / filter combo.

Any input is appreciated.

They say it can, and stand behind their products with a guarantee to pay out if it doesn't!
thumbsup2.gif

I would put it in for a short run, and drain it out. Then put fresh stuff in and run it for double your normal recommended OCI or 1 year and do a UOA to see how it holds up in your engine and driving conditions.

Make sure you get a TBN & TAN number to see how it's fairing.

If all is well then push it further based on your results.

I'm up to 15K KM (9K Miles) with an EAO filter and looking to go further but I'm testing with UOA's to see my limit!

thumbsup2.gif
Good Luck
thumbsup2.gif

You can probably go 25,000 miles with Crisco Oil. But there is a risk/reward tradeoff. Some of the German automakers have proven you can go 15,000 miles (although MB has recently lowered that at bit), so I think I would stop right about there and change my oil.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm up to 15K KM (9K Miles) with an EAO filter and looking to go further but I'm testing with UOA's to see my limit!

I would skip the UOA and spend the extra money on a shorter OCI.

A little money up front in research is cheaper in the long run with the hassle of changing it more often. I trust the product, I just need to find out my conditions for it!

Plus it's a hobby for me!
wink.gif

Last edited:
A little money up front in research is cheaper in the long run with the hassle of changing it more often. I trust the product, I just need to find out my conditions for it!

I suspect that you are in complete denial, and are obsessed with UOA tests and this forum. There will always be another excuse for "one more" UOA.

I do it for the fun of it to see whats going on. I don't base everything on UOA's as I have said in many other posts. I also enjoy BITOG. Whats the problem?
21.gif

I was just saying that the guy wants to run Amsoil for extended OCI's and wants to know if the product will stand up. I said it will and Amsoil stands behind it with a guarantee, but that he should do a UOA to see how much additive is reamining through the TBN number and how oxidized the oil has become through the TAN number so he knows if he can safely extend his OCI without harm to his engine.

Not all engines or driving patterns can make the 20K miles IMO without engine wear as a trade off, but it will make it without causing death to the engine from sludge.

But I'm sure he doesn't want to trade off the wear for not having to change the oil.
wink.gif

But you be the good little Sheep Mark and change your oil more often because UOA's with TAN/TBN's are useless.
grin2.gif

Will certainly be interesting to see how your UOA comes up, best of luck with that and keep us updated.
cool.gif

I've recently completed an ARX cleaning application on the Lancer with PP 10W-30. Now I've switched over to PP 5W-30 for the rinse phase. Once that is over, I'm going to see if I can push 20,000 km (12,500 mile) OCIs using Mobil 1 0W-40 or Fuch Titan 5W-30 on this application, with an air filter change every 5,000 km (3,000 miles) and possibly an oil filter change at the 10,000 km (6,250 mile) mark. Due to the nature of our environment, I'd rather replace the air filter than blow compressed air through it as a means of cleaning it. That would eliminate any dust making its way into the oil in a desert climate. If it works, that's the OCI schedule the vehicle will follow.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
2001 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3L. Since the first oil change when new I have used a full syn oil like Amsoil, Redline or PP......I even used Royal Purple once. Last week, at 145,000 miles, I put in Amsoil 5W-30 and the EA oil filter that Amsoil recommends. I sell real estate in the metro Atlanta area so I drive a fair amount in southern heat and Atlanta traffic. I usually change the oil at 10,000 miles but this time I want to push it to 20,000 miles. Since I am using the EA filter - with a FilterMag - can I go the extra miles? I know the bottle says the oil is good for 25,000 miles or one year but is this marketing or truth? Anyone out there actually run Amsoil the full 25,000 miles with the same EA filter? My Amsoil direct jobber that I buy from says the EA filter is fantastic and that going the 20,000 miles is nothing for that oil / filter combo.

Any input is appreciated.

In some autos yes and some no. Need to do UOA to see the baseline. If a Amsoil dealer flat out says yes, run fast in the opp direction.

In Atlanta, I would use the 10W-30 and keep it in there about 15k miles/one year as a limit in that big V8. Unless you get out on the road often for longer trips.

If you have your heart set on 20k miles/one year oci, go with the SSO, IMO.

I'd run it for 10K just like you have been doing then do a UOA to see how your engine is doing and go from there. If the UOA looks good stretch it out some more. At 143K you have been doing something right.

The answer IMHO, is: It depends.

First off, maybe I missed it, but did you do a UOA at 10,000 miles with any of the oils? Just to assure no coolant or fuel issues.

Not sure when you bought the Tahoe, but with 145K now - that almost is ~20K per year, right there that helps. The 5.3L can be a bit hard on oil and it can throw a lot of metals, but on the other hand it will keep on chugging. The other thing in your favor, the engine should be relatively clean to start.

So here's my recommendation: If you had Amsoil in just before this current fill, go to 15K, dump the oil, and pay the $25 for the UOA. If you are changing back to ASL from another oil, just go 10K, dump the oil, and do a UOA. If all looks sound, go 20K.

Lastly the filter will do 25K without issue.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
....and pay the $25 for the UOA.

Please pay $42 total so you can get a TBN and TAN, too. You're driving lots of miles, really testing the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark888

I would skip the UOA and spend the extra money on a shorter OCI.

You will never know the true internal health status of your engine. Extending OCIs is only one of several reasons for doing a UOA.

Thanks for the input guys. I will run the oil for 15,000 miles and do a UOA. It will take several months to get that many miles but when I get it done I'll post the results here in the correct forum.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back