Camry Rear Brakes

I purchased aftermarket rear pads and rotors for my 2014 Toyota Camry. I went with Wagner Thermoquiet pads and rotors. The new pads came with hardware clips, but not a shim "anti-squeal" piece that goes on the back of the pads.

Do I need to use the "anti-squeal" shim piece with the Thermoquiet pads?

The car currently has OEM pads that have the "anti-squeal" piece that goes on the back of the pads. Should I reuse with the aftermarket pads?

You probably don't need to, but you can.

A lot of aftermarket pads already have the shim glued on to the pads, built-in

I looked at the pictures of the rear pads for your car, and it's strange that Wagner doesn't include them with your Thermoquiet pads! The OEX includes the shim, though! And every other brand has the shim as well :unsure:

Reactions: JC1
If the pads do not have the plastic shim on the back , I apply some of the " goo " on the back of the pads , to reduce noise .

Do you need new rotors? If you don't need them keep the originals. I think you use brake lube as they have built in shims.

Do you need new rotors? If you don't need them keep the originals. I think you use brake lube as they have built in shims.

You're lucky that you don't have to deal with rust in Florida.

But where it does rust, you always replace the rotors with the pads. Here is why.

Its one of the reasons I stay in Florida. The West coast we get very little salt moisture from the Gulf. The East coast is a different story.

Most thermosqueals, I mean thermoquiets, do not use a shim. Wagner calls it their IMI (integrally Molded Isolator). The protrusions on the backs on the pads are where Wagner pushes the friction material through the backing plate and forms it into an isolator in place of a shim. Bosch does this on some of their pads too.

Back