Camry 2GR-FKS Plug Change

I'm replacing the spark plugs on a 2018 Toyota Camry with the 2GR-FKS V6 engine. Need to remove the upper intake manifold to reach the rear plugs. After removing the five bolts and two nuts attaching the upper manifold it still cannot be removed. Seems to be held by something holding the throttle body in place, which I cannot see.
Anyone know how to remove the upper intake manifold?
Thanks.

I presume you are referring to the air intake plenum as the upper intake manifold. Don't know about the newer Camry V6 engines, but on my 04 V6, that component has three support braces that must be unbolted from the plenum. You can see these braces better from under the vehicle. Regards

I'm replacing the spark plugs on a 2018 Toyota Camry with the 2GR-FKS V6 engine. Need to remove the upper intake manifold to reach the rear plugs. After removing the five bolts and two nuts attaching the upper manifold it still cannot be removed. Seems to be held by something holding the throttle body in place, which I cannot see.
Anyone know how to remove the upper intake manifold?
Thanks.

Did you get the 2 bolts behind the TB?

The service interval for a 2018 Camry V6 for spark plugs is 120,000 miles, so unless yo're doing a lot of driving it's probably not needed yet.

Welcome!

How many miles on your 2018 Camry? It probably came with iridium which is good for over 100k

Toyota calls for plug change at 60K. Dealer did first change at 60K, now its time for the second change.

Yes, we do a lot of driving ..........

No that's wrong. This may show you the 3 bolts on the throttle body.

a1_223368F.jpg

Last edited:
No that's wrong.
Thanks Trav.

The instructions I have indicate removing the upper manifold with the throttle body attached, after removing the electric cable from the TB.

Last edited:
That makes sense, that is normal but I cant figure out where these 2 bolts are. Is there anything connected to the TB other than hoses and cables?

Toyota calls for plug change at 60K. Dealer did first change at 60K, now its time for the second change.

Yes, we do a lot of driving ..........
That sounds about right for the D4-S engines - I think Lexus also calls for 60K intervals for the 2GR-FSE/1UR-FSE/2UR-GSE used on the non-hybrid IS/GS/LS/RC/LC cars.

did you use the proper 3-ground electrode plugs too?

Wow expensive 3-ground iridium only lasts 60k? o_O:cry::censored::eek:🥶🤡🤖💩(n)

THIS is why most companies switched to a turbo 4 :sneaky:
(ok, it isn't really, but I'm still glad they did)

Toyota's transverse V6 designs are the worst, even for a transverse V6! They should at least put cutouts in the intake (Nissan did this with early VQ's)

NGK can't make a ruthenium soon enough!

That makes sense, that is normal but I cant figure out where these 2 bolts are. Is there anything connected to the TB other than hoses and cables?
Trav - Thanks for your comments. Didn't see anything other than hoses and cable, all of which were removed. When trying to lift the manifold it was being held in place in the right rear corner, under the throttle body.

Did this with our v6 Lexus last week. They found two very nicely hidden places to brace the intake. Thankfully the wrench angles were workable, but I had to find them by feel and not by sigh. 30 minutes to take apart, 4 minutes to assemble. the iridium plugs in ours varied from “almost new” to “it runs??” gap wear.

m

Did this with our v6 Lexus last week. They found two very nicely hidden places to brace the intake. Thankfully the wrench angles were workable, but I had to find them by feel and not by sigh. 30 minutes to take apart, 4 minutes to assemble. the iridium plugs in ours varied from “almost new” to “it runs??” gap wear.

m
Thanks!

Back