Cam sprocket question

I need to get back to replacing the cam in my CRV. I'd like to locate a used cam that has the cam gear on it, as it looks like a bit of a pain to remove. But now I'm wondering, do these gears wear and mate to the chain? I know on my bicycle, they tend to wear together, and one can have problems with chain skipping.

Trying to scope out the amount of work needed here. I really don't want to strip off the timing cover, that does not look like fun.

If your not using new, then I'd use what you have. Pain ? All this semi disposable stuff is a pain to work on

With that many miles, it could use a new chain and tensioner as well. Those k24 chains do wear out.

If you leave the oil pan on, K24 timing covers are not a bad job at all.

Chain should last the lifetime of the car. I mean, that was why we wanted them and all... sheesh, disposable indeed.

With that many miles, it could use a new chain and tensioner as well. Those k24 chains do wear out.

If you leave the oil pan on, K24 timing covers are not a bad job at all.
Agree as long as the engine is out its all easy. But not with a few inches of clearance to work in. 😧

Chain should last the lifetime of the car. I mean, that was why we wanted them and all... sheesh, disposable indeed.
They last longer. But depending on the application, they will not be a lifetime item. K24 seems to be one of those.

Agree as long as the engine is out its all easy. But not with a few inches of clearance to work in. 😧
This was on an Accord. It wasn’t terrible at all. CRV is a bit more challenging due to how the engine sits, but it isn’t a bad job at all. I want to say book time is 4 hours.

66875987996__447A6138-78C5-4C3D-B180-CC8DFA39829E.jpeg

Last edited:
Book time might be 4 hours, that's still 2 days for me.

When I did the 5S-FE timing belt, that was a 2 day affair each time. Usually because something broke... or I ran out of daylight (so happy to have a garage now). Not sure if it was 6 hours or 8 hours each time, but I can easily hit 2x book time. Reason: not a mechanic, I really don't know what I'm doing, and while doing it, I'm usually sure I'm doing it wrong.

I know they do that on my bicycle, was hoping they didn't here... bummer.
I changed the timing chain on my Gen Coupe 2L and the sprockets were not worn to speak of. That would have been bad with the variable timing. On the V6 Gen Coupe when the chain needs changed so do the variable cam sockets drives. Gets really expensive, as they would have to buy new cams too as it was all one part. Don't know if that has changed or not.

Of course your older MPI Hondoo will be a different animal, but the timing chain replacement kits on much of the domestic GDI 4cyls and V6s will come with replacement sprockets for the crank, idlers, oil pump, etc, but won't come with replacement phasers and the sprockets associated with them.

I've watched a ton of tear-down and re-do videos online on GDIs and it seems the major wear item is the chain itself. The plastic guides rarely have any appreciable wear and the tensioners are typically ratcheted to their limits. I've not heard / seen sprocket wear being a concern.

If you don't strip off the timing cover, how are you going to keep the tensioner from popping all the way out when you remove the cam gear?

When I was young and ignorant I mixed and matched a new chain with old sprockets on a Saturn. There was no visible wear and it ran fine. If you're putting in a used cam you're already in "beater maneuvers" but obviously use the best parts... a matched set, new or old.

If you don't strip off the timing cover, how are you going to keep the tensioner from popping all the way out when you remove the cam gear?

When I was young and ignorant I mixed and matched a new chain with old sprockets on a Saturn. There was no visible wear and it ran fine. If you're putting in a used cam you're already in "beater maneuvers" but obviously use the best parts... a matched set, new or old.
There’s a tensioner access cover on timing cover; I think you can remove the tensioner without removing the timing cover.

They last longer. But depending on the application, they will not be a lifetime item. K24 seems to be one of those.

This was on an Accord. It wasn’t terrible at all. CRV is a bit more challenging due to how the engine sits, but it isn’t a bad job at all. I want to say book time is 4 hours.

View attachment 219261
Much more space than a CRV. Book time 4 hours? It would take me that to just clean the parts. Especially all the crappy RTV.
Then when you smear it or ? as your installing the cover and have to re apply it, another 4 hours to clean it. So if I was flat rate I'd be working for free. No wonder mechanics do crappy work nowadays. 🤣

Since its 4 hours book time, a timing set change out should be only $1000. at the dealer.

Much more space than a CRV. Book time 4 hours? It would take me that to just clean the parts. Especially all the crappy RTV.
Then when you smear it or ? as your installing the cover and have to re apply it, another 4 hours to clean it. So if I was flat rate I'd be working for free. No wonder mechanics do crappy work nowadays.🤣
Clean cover with parts washer or degreaser and hose. Use a few new razor blades to carefully cut out the large pieces. Follow up with a $1 brass “toothbrush” from HF. Run thru parts washer again. Do a few dry test fits to practice before reinstalling the cover. Shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes.

IMG_6897.jpeg

In that photo way too much RTV is used, when it compresses out it will have many boogers inside the chain area.
With the time setting to photo it now its set, and needs cleaning and re application. 🤣 🤣 🤣 😧

In that photo way too much RTV is used, when it compresses out it will have many boogers inside the chain area.
With the time setting to photo it now its set, and needs cleaning and re application. 🤣 🤣 🤣 😧
3mm bead per the service instructions.

Squeeze out looks fine to me.
IMG_6917.jpeg

Last edited:
Now an inside picture. Lots of booger oozing out the outside. There are lots of cases where the factory uses too much. So what they say may not be very good. :unsure:

Example of RTV problems and much more on the tube.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkfcPK2CcEw
There are very few instances of the factory RTV application being excessive. The Subaru example is an unusual one; the quantity used at the factory is actually MORE than what’s specified in the repair manual.

I have zero reason to believe that I used too much. The factory RTV application on this car actually had more squeeze out than this. A 3mm bead is very “industry standard” on aluminum to aluminum timing covers.

Not sure how you’re applying your RTV, but applying a bead of this size is how every OEM wants it done.

Back