Cam galling symptoms...{PICs}

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the early 2.4's had some cam galling issues, but they were few and far between. I was looking into my oil cap today for fun and noticed that the "roller" by one of the cams had some serious discoloration in the middle of it, it looks like it has been chewed up down the middle...here are the pics starting from a view of one of the cams, then looking over at the "roller". I dont know the name for it sorry.
20141012_1521331_zpsb35b61f8.jpg

20141012_1520441_zpsd33c349b.jpg

20141012_1521231_zps78df5c63.jpg

I am concerned about that dark streak down the middle. Now here is the catcher, I ran my fingernail across it to see if it was rough, or if it dipped down, but as far as I can tell its all smooth, just like the cam lobe. So if it is smooth, am I in the clear?

That is a very normal wear pattern for a roller camshaft. As you note, it's perfectly smooth. Mine even looks "blued" a little bit. But it's perfectly smooth. That's just what they look like after so many miles.

Yes, I see similarities...but look at that pic and look at mine, see how the dark part doesn't reflect light like the one you just posted? Its like its more worn off so to speak.

These are perfectly normal markings on the cam lobes.

If it is smooth you're good.

This thing rotates like mad opening and closing the valves, it will show a grain after a while.

We had about 12 cams all standing up on workbenches at school during our engine module, and they ALL looked like that.

Then when you walk over to one and pick it up, you expect to feel damage but it is perfectly smooth.

Think about Damascus steel... It looks crazy but smooth as silk when you run your nail across the pattern.

Last edited:
The pics that Hokiefyd linked to were from my 2.4 Honda. I remember feeling the cam lobes and they were very smooth.

I think camshaft lobes become burnished over time. If they were galled the surface would appear rough/torn and would indicated a problem. This burnishing might happen in the early stages of of break in then basically stop (don't know...just a theory). I'm willing to be bet that if you could measure the cam lobes, the burnished area wouldn't be much different than the non-burnished area.

As a machinist, I worked on a project one time that required we use a burnishing tool. The hole was first reamed with a goal of being a couple tenths (0.0001") smaller then print. The burnishing tool then opened up the diameter just a couple more tenths. The finish was amazing.

You are really OCD about a car for better or worst.

They break occasionally, things hit them, and they get scratched. Its okay. I used to be like you and finally I think woke up and realized it does not matter. Hopefully this epiphany hits ya.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
You are really OCD about a car for better or worst.

They break occasionally, things hit them, and they get scratched. Its okay. I used to be like you and finally I think woke up and realized it does not matter. Hopefully this epiphany hits ya.

Well it does matter to me. I take pride in caring for my car, yeah I agree I am OCD about it at times, and THATS fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back