California duster rejuvenate

Ok, here is the deal, my duster is OLD, I really don't know how old, but I did get it new, and I am sure at least 20 years ago. It had gotten very dirty, to the point that it was more black than its original red. Lately also it seemed to just push the dust around rather than pick it up. So, I read on the web that if that dirty, it could be washed, with cold water and gentile soap. I put water in a bucket, and some car wash soap, and squished it around. WOW, the water turned to mud, and the fibers got MUCH cleaner. I let it dry out in the sun, and fluffed it up, and put it back on its handle. Well, it still just pushes the dust around. The original red color is now much lighter, and almost white in many areas. I am guessing that the original treatment that picks up the dust, has disappeared. Is there anything I can put in it to make it work again, or should I just file it in the round file.

I thought maybe I could spray it with something, and let it dry. I thought of like Pledge, or detailer, or spray wax, or WD40. Or just forget it and pitch it and buy a new one, they aren't that expensive.

They are coated with a waxy substance and are supposed to be cleaned with a mild laundry detergent. I don't know if car wash soap is the best to use. But if it worked for you that's great.

They are coated with a waxy substance and are supposed to be cleaned with a mild laundry detergent. I don't know if car wash soap is the best to use. But if it worked for you that's great.

Worked to clean it fine, but cleaning it didn't make it work to pick up dust.

Back in the old days, school janitors used large waxed dusters to do the halls. When I got my first Ca duster it reminded me of that. Don't know what they use today.

I thought maybe I could spray it with something, and let it dry. I thought of like Pledge, or detailer, or spray wax, or WD40. Or just forget it and pitch it and buy a new one, they aren't that expensive.
After a few years mine get black and just push the dust around also, time to renew. ;)

If you are worried about swirls don't use a California duster. Especially an old, dirty one.
If you keep a good coat of wax swirls are a non-issue when using a Duster. I use NuFinish and the Duster glides right over and pickups the dust. You could make an argument for the dust causing micro scratches-but not swirls.

I would say that 20 years is a good long life. Buy a new one and relegate the old one for other cleaning tasks.

If you keep a good coat of wax swirls are a non-issue when using a Duster. I use NuFinish and the Duster glides right over and pickups the dust. You could make an argument for the dust causing micro scratches-but not swirls.
Swirls or micro-scratches, the terms are used interchangeably.

I think the a “slick surface” is what’s needed, not wax/sealant itself.

Swirls or micro-scratches, the terms are used interchangeably.

I think the a “slick surface” is what’s needed, not wax/sealant itself.
I having been using the "slick surface" method-i.e. NuFinsh. I have had several Dusters over the years-and as someone who while not super picky-I like my vehicles to look good and can't say there have been any noticeable negative effects doing it (for me) this way.

Ok, here is the deal, my duster is OLD, I really don't know how old, but I did get it new, and I am sure at least 20 years ago. It had gotten very dirty, to the point that it was more black than its original red. Lately also it seemed to just push the dust around rather than pick it up. So, I read on the web that if that dirty, it could be washed, with cold water and gentile soap. I put water in a bucket, and some car wash soap, and squished it around. WOW, the water turned to mud, and the fibers got MUCH cleaner. I let it dry out in the sun, and fluffed it up, and put it back on its handle. Well, it still just pushes the dust around. The original red color is now much lighter, and almost white in many areas. I am guessing that the original treatment that picks up the dust, has disappeared. Is there anything I can put in it to make it work again, or should I just file it in the round file.

This is funny.
We just washed ours like five minutes ago.
Ours is 14 years old, bought it just after I bought the Mustang.
Followed the directions on the package. Have it drying on the patio right now.
Ours got to the point that it was leaving about as much crud on the car as it was picking up.
So if we have to buy another, we got our money out of it.

Back