Cactus and succulents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been particularly interested in gardening, even though my folks were avid plant people. My dad used to grow a lot of vegetables, but I never have. I don't even like the idea of caring for a lawn. Now that our senile esteemed governor has decided that no one needs a lawn anyway, I feel better.

Nonetheless, I've liked succulents and cactus for a while. When I discovered that they thrive on neglect, I began planting some. I started with some cuttings from my folks jade plants, which have done well. Recently, we had an old fence and some nasty-looking trees removed from a hillside area on the west side of our property. This was done in part to provide defensible space in case of fire, and in part because the trees were ugly, and some were dead or half-dead anyway.

I found this plant in a dumpster:

1-IMG_0125_zpsuqjcrlgd.jpg

It was looking kind of rough, but it seems to be perking up a bit.

These are cactuses I grew from cuttings:

1-IMG_0128_zpsou8s2wto.jpg

I've always liked [censored] pear.

Yesterday I was at a jobsite, and the general contractor drove up in his pickup, which had a bunch of aloes in the back. I asked him if he was throwing them away. He said, "No, why? do you want some?" When I responded in the affirmative, he told me to take whatever I wanted. I took 3, including this one which I could hardly lift.

1-IMG_0121_zpsg3i0fevm.jpg

I believe they are aloe vera, but I can't swear to it. Here is the big one in the ground.

1-IMG_0129_zpsjyfwdrty.jpg

This is a plant I got from my folks' house after my dad passed. Not sure what it's called:

1-IMG_0126_zpswckbmkeo.jpg

Another thing I like about these plants is that I didn't pay a cent for any of them. I'm not against buying plants; I've got my eye on some nice San Pedro cactus, but there's nothing wrong with a free succulent.

AV on bottom and CP above? - I have all pictured, other cactus, and some Yucca plants ... most of them flower ...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The bottom picture is aloe vera. The ones above are blue agaves.

In that case, I've always admired the blue agave. I like the color, and the broad, spreading leaves. I don't know if I have varieties of censored pear that grow fruits, but that would be nice also. It is nice to be able to pick up censored pear pads and just stick them in the ground to generate a new plant.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The bottom picture is aloe vera. The ones above are blue agaves.

In that case, I've always admired the blue agave. I like the color, and the broad, spreading leaves. I don't know if I have varieties of censored pear that grow fruits, but that would be nice also. It is nice to be able to pick up censored pear pads and just stick them in the ground to generate a new plant.
My front yard is full of cactus. I used to have a bunch of blue agave until they died. They get poky ends and they hurt!

They're what tequila is made from.

yup, you have them i'd correctly i believe.

2 years ago my brother pulled a spotted aloe vera plant and gave it to me, while i was visiting him in Texas,,,i live in the mid west and i have to have it potted and indoors during the winter.

it seems to thrive in doors with minimal maintenance. beautiful plant this spotted aloe vera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back