Cabin Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
We drive a S2000 and our top is down most of the year so all I need the cabin filter to do is keep the bugs and other big stuff out of the air ducks.
I bought a Wix cabin filter and put it in the car, then I take the dirty stock Honda one and wash it and put it in the Wix box. Then every spring I switch the filters out and clean the dirty one and put it away till next year. Works good for me but like I said I just need it to keep the big stuff out of the air ducks.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
We drive a S2000 and our top is down most of the year so all I need the cabin filter to do is keep the bugs and other big stuff out of the air ducks.
I bought a Wix cabin filter and put it in the car, then I take the dirty stock Honda one and wash it and put it in the Wix box. Then every spring I switch the filters out and clean the dirty one and put it away till next year. Works good for me but like I said I just need it to keep the big stuff out of the air ducks.

***** But I thought Ducks liked bugs!!
smile.gif

Sorry Rounds....... couldn't resist!

JP

Originally Posted By: chevys10
I have heard of people cutting down furnace filters to fit the housing. Never tried it, but seems it would work just as well at a fraction of the cost...

I've heard of this idea before....and plan on purchasing a quality furnace filter....and cutting to size.

Should be able to get 3 or 4 cabin filters from one large furnace filter.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I've heard of this idea before....and plan on purchasing a quality furnace filter....and cutting to size.

Buy the largest furnace filter, it is usually sell at the same price as smaller one, then you can get a lot more than 3-4 cabin filters.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Buy the largest furnace filter, it is usually sell at the same price as smaller one, then you can get a lot more than 3-4 cabin filters.

**** Can someone please post pics of doing this. I'd be interested to see that. Thanks,

JP

I've used Wix and ATP as well as proguard (generic white box).
I like the ATP quality better, doesn't seem as flimsy as the Wix, the proguard worked, it wasn't a dense a material as the wix or ATP, but for half the price you get what you get.
The ATP just seems to be a better filter media IMHO.
The Wix's are supposed to have some spray on it to prevent odors, but even with charcoal impregnated filters, I don't see how air moving that fast through a filter is going to get any odors removed. It honestly sounds (and smells) like a gimmick.

Even with the cheap white box filters, it's still nice to know that most of the air is filtered, and after a year, all the crud it catches is just discusting! That's the stuff you'd be breathing in!

Originally Posted By: EricF

Even with the cheap white box filters, it's still nice to know that most of the air is filtered, and after a year, all the crud it catches is just discusting! That's the stuff you'd be breathing in!

**** ^ This. I replace mine every spring. I pick them up on big sales or AAP sale/discount. I like the fresh air when running AC in summer and heater in Winter. YMMV

JP

I have washed them out in the past. One time I let one soak in the same cleaner as we use to clean the hot tub filters and it cleaned it up like new.

OP Update: For my Nissan, I found a WIX 24400 on eBay for $8.58 shipped. This is basically what I have now, which is a NAPA 4400. This new WIX says that it is Made in China.

For the Saturn, I bought an Ecogard XC25490 on eBay for $8.99 shipped. It too is made in China. The quality/construction seems just as good as the OE micronAir filters that I've been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back