Cabin Filters (NSFB) not safe for BITOG

CAF1.jpg
CAF2.jpg

It's been very busy at my Lube center.
The culturally vibrant neighborhood where my center is located has seen
a monetary windfall with tax returns and stimulus $s. (Land of the Free)
The 1st filter is probably original and from a car with 185k miles on it. Not sure
of year make or model (busy). Looks like Mitsubishi.
The 2nd.... no clue either but it's seen better days, no doubt. Looks like old Toyota.
A Cabin filter Hall Of Fame should be a sticky in this forum.
Gotta go blow some engines.
Enjoy

Last edited:
How does the fan for the heat and air even work, with something that clogged in the way? How is there any air flow at all?

It gets hot and cold in Jersey. I would think that people would notice the lack of airflow, and / or the smell.
There must be a bypass, something like a rubber flap, that can let airflow go around the filter.

I screwed up by not taking a pic. That is what the cabin filter on the 06 Sentra looked like. It was original and had 159k when I changed it.

There are many people who don't even change the HVAC filters in their homes much less their cars.

Another reality - A friend of mine bought a house with a central vacuum unit. After he moved in his wife was doing some cleaning with it and complained to him that it did not seem like it was working well. He went to the basement to check the central vac motor unit and found that the cannister collection bin had never been emptied, nor had the filters ever been changed. He estimated by the install date, that the prior owners used for over 7 years without servicing it. Can you imagine? You would think at some point someone in that household would have thought....where does all this dirt go that I am vacuuming up? LOL

I just bought a 5 yr old MB ML350 with 37k on it. Noticed the ac smelling like a dirty vacuum cleaner bag. Sure enough it had never been changed. And the vehicle has 3 filters. It still smells with new filters so next step is to clean the heater/ac core.
The air filter also had never been changed but it is a pita to check or change and I think the car has a monitor that signals when it's totally clogged.LOL

I just bought a 5 yr old MB ML350 with 37k on it. Noticed the ac smelling like a dirty vacuum cleaner bag. Sure enough it had never been changed. And the vehicle has 3 filters. It still smells with new filters so next step is to clean the heater/ac core.
The air filter also had never been changed but it is a pita to check or change and I think the car has a monitor that signals when it's totally clogged.LOL

There is a product in aerosol form that you spray inside the intake air while having it on recirculate mode: No fresh air.

It's interesting to me that Mazda has rated their cabin for 2 years or 15-25k miles... depending on which schedule you're using for maintenance.

Figure I'll check it at 15k and then decide what to do. At least in the Sorento by 10-15k miles the cabin filter was filthy. I'm curious to see how the CAF Mazda loads up. I'll give its first check after the pollen explosion in another 4-6 weeks.

My mom takes her Chevy Cruze in for service at the dealer all the time.

They said she should replace her cabin filter, the car has about 70k miles on it.

Mom says "why would i replace the filter, I don't even use the AC in this car, I just open the windows".

I had to have a chuckle. She lives in NY btw

Back