C Z 452

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here own a C Z 452 .22 rifle? Saw one at a gun shop the other day and was impressed by it's solid (no plastic) construction. Also remembered this is the company Col. Jeff Cooper chose to furnish action for his dangerous game rifle. The "American" version can be had in left hand mode, which is a definite plus for me, being a Lefty. Blued steel with Turkish walnut. Nickel plate and composite stock can be had, but not LH.

Any other reccomendations for a left hand .22?

Bob

Bob, the CZ452 is currently THE most popular rifle in our club (rimfire field-class).

There are all sorts of "Brno"s (they used to be Brno before they brought back "Czeska Brezovska")

Rifles in the club range from the current model "target", to my 1967 Brno Model 2 that I picked up about 8 or 9 years ago.

Mines microgroove, and shoots really well with a wide range of ammo, and although it pains me to say, it's more accurate than my Krico model 300.

Almost without exception, all the rifles in the club shoot well, depending on the nut behind the butt.

One thing that I don't like is that the action feels like a couple of poorly lubricated house bricks for a long, long time before use beds it in. Some of the keener types are using lapping paste to speed the process...with mine, 30 years of rabbit shooting by a previous owner has made it very smooth.

Hard to load single shot style with the magazine in, as it often falls off the rails, and pushes into the off hand side of the chamber.

Check the bedding, as there's traditionally a bedding screw from a lug on the barrel (I think the varmint might have a traditionally bedded action)...people who have the wood off regularly have problems with the tension of the barrel lug, until they find the right inch pounds for it.

Nice point is there is a chamber vent off the side of the action for a ruptured case (comes in handy if Remington don't anneal their cases well).

As to other left handed actions, a guy in the club has a Browning T Bolt, which is sweet (we have goofy hand matches between us where he shoots right hand, and me left hand), another guy has an Anschutz.

At the rifle club the other day I saw an IZmatch left hander.

And ultimate in versatility, I bought a Rossi matche pair the other day. Break action .22, and the guys at the range all want it.

Back to the CZ, there IS plastic on it, in the floor of the magazine. Can be remedied by finding an old Brno Model 2 magazine.

Down here, there are Norinco CZ452 knock-offs. They are relatively cheap, but even an old second hand rifle is better than a new chinese knock-off.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/bi7-2.shtml

Some local Gun rags report very good accuracy with these, and can be operated with gloves on.

Think I prefer the more traditional look of the CZ. Glad to hear this rifle is a likely good shooter. What I meant by lack of plastic is, using Ruger 10-22 as an example, their horrid shiny plastic but-plate,entire magazine body, bbl. band,and I think even the trigger guard. Love these rifles but prefer older versions.

By the way, an UNFIRED browning T Bolt (LH), and my ancient, pre-warning-stamped-in-bbl 10-22 were two of the guns stolen in my home break in a few years back.

Bob

I have a 452 American. It's a wonderful gun. It shoots under an inch at 50 yards with cheap Winchester ammo. I highly recommend this gun to anyone looking for a bolt action 22.

Ed

Own a few CZ RFs. They are an excellent gun for the price. Much better done than many bolt action American 22 RF IMO.

The CZ 22RFs use a chamber that is tighter and shorter then a typical sloppy SAAMI specification 22 LR chamber. This is a very good thing from an accuracy stand point. The CZ barrel are also hand lapped, this gets a big thumbs up from me.

The CZ RF triggers are usually set from the factory at around 2 - 2 1/2 pounds. Much better than our typical American stiff liability triggers so common these days.

The action can be a little rough to operate at first but they get better with use.

CZ 452 do use a plastic magazine these days, 5 and 10 round magazines are available. They do seem to work fine.

Half the battle with 22 RF from an accuracy standpoint is to experiment with different loads from a bench rest to find the loads your gun likes or don't like. With a good scope and target or Match loads that the gun likes 1/2" to 3/4" 10 shot groups at 50 yards are fairly common shooting from a bench rest from my CZ RFs.

"Half the battle with 22 RF from an accuracy standpoint is to experiment with different loads from a bench rest to find the loads your gun likes or don't like." Hirev

Pretty obvious that you can't hand load to find the ideal load!
frown.gif

Bob

Bob, there have been rimfire handloaders down here for benchrest down here.

Buy a case, break it down, then reassemble with measured powder charges and bullet weights...anal as.

Sorting by rim thickness and overall weight is as silly as I got at one stage...made a small difference when shooting groups, but no real difference on targets.

I have a CZ-452 Ultra Lux with a 28" barrel that I just love to shoot. The CZ rimfires are the best you will find for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back