Bypass valve pressures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbf

I want to replace the FL820s filter with a larger Baldwin filter(B281). It is my understanding that the FL820s has a bypass valve rated at 8psi,the Baldwin bypass is rated at 20psi. Is the difference in bypass valve pressure going to be a problem; 8psi vs 20psi? The engine is 5.4L 3v engine in a 2004 F150.

This filter probably has a higher bypass rating from MC. Even in a Wix it's higher then their standard 8-11 rating. Virtually ALL Wix have this rating unless the application, for some reason, requires it. Wix gives it an 11-15 bypass rating. Purolator gives its standard 11-16 bypass.

According to the Wix application chart, aside from two Caddy engines (
confused.gif
) ..this is only used on Ford engines.

That is, I doubt that Baldwin has any other application in mind with this filter.

I guess Gary has not been reading my Baldwin engine clatter posts using the long, inexpensive regular Baldwins. Buy the Premium Baldwins or another filter brand.

the motorcraft fl820s is rated at bpv 11-18psi that is listed in motorcraft site...i use fleetguards lf3315 the larger size of fl820s because it flows so well 4.35psid @ 11.1gpm but it doesn't filter smaller particles 55% @ 30u and 98% @ 60u.....bpv is 17.4....you might want to try a true racing high performance filter its the ford racing high performance oil filter filters @ 20u 98% and flows 13gpm @ 7.3psid...it is the cm-6731-fl820...expensive but an awesome filter..bpv on this is 17-24

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
I guess Gary has not been reading my Baldwin engine clatter posts using the long, inexpensive regular Baldwins. Buy the Premium Baldwins or another filter brand.

You're correct. I don't usually read experiences with a single part number that fits only one make of vehicle (with very few exceptions). I don't see how this relates to the bypass valve setting however. They're all about the same
confused.gif

Now if you are saying that the regular Baldwin is a poor choice ...that's a different story.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back