Buy new computer to get Win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not disagreeing with Volvohead in principle, but my personal experience with Atom Netbook is that the bottleneck is mainly in the processing power and RAM size. Spending money to get a more powerful small laptop would make performance significantly better in web browsing, where storage speed matters little once it is booted up.

Even a used Core Duo laptop with 2GB of RAM and a mechanical hard drive would be money better spent than the same money on an atom netbook with 512MB to 1GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD (which cost about $100 in today's price).

I do use an SSD Raid at work, and they are very fast for what I need, but my work PC is also not powered by an atom.

Last edited:
+1 with Pandabear. That was exactly my experience with my own Asus netbook. The CPU is too slow to notice the substantial I/O increase that the SSD brings to the situation.

Perhaps I'm wrong, as I spend most of the time anymore dealing with the higher end business products. I can't say how strained an Atom-based Asus netbook might natively be.

Closest I've encountered to that HW level was my wife's little X100e with AMD processor (a really sharp ultraportable that we picked up for under $400). But it too became a W7 screamer once we dropped a small SSD into it.

Guess you can tell I really don't like most 2.5 HDDs.

Hmm, makes sense. Ok, just wanted to rule it out, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back