Burning smell after driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

For about a week now I've noticed a faint burning smell whenever I come to a stop while driving. It's very faint, but consistent, and I'm only able to smell it after I've been driving and then stop, at say a red light or when I reach my destination. It doesn't seem to make the smell while I'm sitting with the vehicle on and not moving.

It doesn't smell like oil or antifreeze, and the levels for both are good. There are no other symptoms (yet) besides the smell, but am hoping to prevent them by correcting the issue now.

The smell is hard to describe...just some type of burning. I'm afraid since it only happens after I've been moving that it could be transmission or brakes...

Vehicle is a 2001 Honda Civic HX

thank you!

Have you ever smelled overheated brakes? It's hard to describe, but once you smell it, there's no mistaking it. Burnt clutch smells similar. Neither one smells like burning oil or antifreeze.

Maybe try getting out after a drive and smelling different spots around the car to pinpoint a location.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Seized caliper causing a brake pad to get too hot?

Yep...could be. Do you have a Infrared Thermometer? If so... check the temp of the rotors to see if there around the same temperature.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
I've noticed a faint burning smell whenever I come to a stop while driving...I'm only able to smell it after I've been driving and then stop...
Vehicle is a 2001 Honda Civic HX
Yes, my Honda about the same age leaks enough oil to drip on the exhaust. It smells after driving and coming to a stop so there is less airflow but enough to smell burning oil. Drive fast and the smell is diluted and hardly noticeable. Can see a leak near the oil pan where it joins the block on passenger side.

Last edited:
My guess is brakes, probably rear. My brother's 2000 Accord had such a smell when driving up and down hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back