Bumper cover repair - touch up

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back, my wife parked somewhere and ended up getting the front right corner of the plastic bumper cover cracked. Being in the dead of winter, I didn't want to tackle it at that point in time, so I did a temporary duct tape "band aid" fix.

Fast forward to now, the wife's nagging and saying she'll just take it in to a shop. So I have the bumper repaired now, using JB Weld, applied from the inside and on the crack itself. It is virtually invisible, except for about a 4" long line seam, and some curb scuffing on the underside edge. I will ensure this crack is 100% filled, and sanded down smooth and flush to the rest of the bumper.

The vehicle is a 2006, and already has some minor scuff marks and rock chips on the paint. To spend hundreds to replace and repaint is out of the question to me.

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to conceal this crack. I can get a "touch up pen" from the dealer. I can also get custom mixed (to the colour code) paint from Napa's CMAX division.

Being that this is a longer crack, do I simply want to touch up by sparingly applying the paint with a toothpick until it is all concealed, or do I want to mask it and use an aerosol? If so, how best to?

I can understand if the crack is visible upon close inspection and can live with that, but I don't want it screaming that it was a DIY paint job from a mile away.

I can do half decent with touch up paint, some 2000 grit wet sandpaper, and some rubbing compound. You might try that.

Or, you can probably find someone online to sell you an entire painted bumper cover for around 350 shipped.

I've never tried spraying paint. I have a cheap HVLP and I've painted a lot of other things but by the time you buy the correct paint and a two part clear, flex additive and adhesion promoter you might as well buy a whole new painted cover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I can do half decent with touch up paint, some 2000 grit wet sandpaper, and some rubbing compound. You might try that.

Or, you can probably find someone online to sell you an entire painted bumper cover for around 350 shipped.

I've never tried spraying paint. I have a cheap HVLP and I've painted a lot of other things but by the time you buy the correct paint and a two part clear, flex additive and adhesion promoter you might as well buy a whole new painted cover.

Have you used the "pens" that they now sell? How well do they work?

You're overthinking this. Very carefully use the touch-up paint (doesn't matter whose) and be done with it.

BTW, Paintscratch.com does sell larger touch-up pens and rattle cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back