Buffalo Bills Player Collapses on Field After Play, Given CPR and O2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I immediately thought of Hank Gathers who collapsed and died on court while playing for Loyola Marymount in the 1990 NCAA basketball tournament. Praying for Damar Hamlin. 🙏

Tackles at the NFL level are more violent than we can imagine. My wife is a nurse and our daughter's boyfriend is a medical student and they speculated either commotio cordis or his windpipe got crushed. Both could explain why he got up initially (adrenaline) before his body realized something wasn't right. He didn't drop to the ground like "I don't feel good", he fell backwards, unconscious.
Perhaps, but from personal experience it's incredibly difficult to take a hit to the windpipe. The equipment (pads/helmet) are just too big to reach through the narrow space. However, these cardiac events while rare are more common in soccer. Plenty of YT videos out there which show how a player is just jogging around and then collapses.

I believe "Pistol Pete" Maravich was playing in a "pick up" game after he retired from the NBA. He gave a short interview to a media guy courtside. The guy asked him how he felt. Pete said that he never felt better.

He walked away from the guy, dropped like a stone and died.

There are certain heart conditions that cause this and I would be very surprised if these athletes are not screened for these conditions before they play.

There are certain heart conditions that cause this and I would be very surprised if these athletes are not screened for these conditions before they play.
It's almost impossible to screen for heart electrical issues if the issue is not taking place during a 15 second EKG at the doctors office and that is the only thing that is done. When people get an EKG and it shows up perfect, that is a reflection of that 15 seconds in time that the heart was functioning properly, you can literally walk out of the doctors office and drop to the ground 3 minutes later.
With that said if it is a persistent issue, yes then it would get detected during those 15 seconds but many, many times it's not, dont ask me how I know. ;)

Just a month ago, he was ejected from a game against the patriots for a hit to the head on defenseless Jakobi Meyers. Watch the video it’s way worse. It’s just a random event. More common in baseball.

Jon Dorenbos was a long snapper on the EAGLES. He was traded to the Saints and as part of the trade, had to take a medical exam. They found his aorta was about ready to burst and rushed him into surgery. It ended his career but saved his life. They do complete medical exams for trades but doesn't seem like they do anything routine for players.

As alarmguy points out, there is a gap in medical diagnostics that they don't monitor for electrical heart conditions long enough to catch some conditions.

We are required to go through the CPR/First Aid/AED training every two years as part of being Arc Flash trained. The instructors always stress that the first few minutes are the most important and even if you aren’t doing “perfect” CPR something is always better than nothing. I’d say this is a perfect example. CPR was almost immediate and I read that he got an AED once in the ambulance. He may be in critical condition but is alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back