BruceBlend® 0w-10 GIII Urber-econo oil is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

This is Tall Pauls oil with that much zinc
shocked.gif
He'd probably mix in some 20w-50 to get the viscosity back up. #@$%! that's thin
crazy.gif
I wouldn't run that stuff.

It does kinda look like you could use it as an additive like TallPaul uses RL.

Quote:

This is Tall Pauls oil with that much zinc
shocked.gif
He'd probably mix in some 20w-50 to get the viscosity back up. #@$%! that's thin
crazy.gif
I wouldn't run that stuff.

Actually, I would not have minded the 0w10 this am. It was -4F and she hadn't been run since Friday. With the 7000 mile 10w40 boosted and probaby thikened 1 cSt, it took a full 12 seconds for the mechanical oil pressure gauge to move off zero.

Anyway, it will be nice to have another mega zddp boosted UOA to look at alongside my results.

Quote:

VOA
Vis @ 40 29.4
Vis @ 100 5.2
VI only 105 (additives lowered it)
Moly 2146 ppm
Zinc 2085 ppm
Phos 1827 ppm
TBN 11.5
HTHS 2.04 (computer model estimate)

I think TallPaul word consider this stuff a mild solvent...something to dampen the rag he uses to dust off his bottles of VSOT and RL 20w50.
grin.gif

Yes, if I can keep it there (180F) ..right now I appears that even with a thermostat, the 10% (or whatever the real % of flow passing on to the exchanger is) flow diversion lowers my oil temp a great deal. Idling and hill climbing work just fine ..and highway speeds at higher ambient temps appeared reasonable ..today I idled to 187F and took it on the highway and it quickly came down to sub 150F.

I couldn't find the IR gun at my friend's shop today to verify the temp sensor reading, but the numbers at idle looked about right. I can't imagine the steel parts shedding that much heat due to air flow inside the engine compartment ..but that could be an obscure possibility
dunno.gif
I'll fashion some type of wrap that will insulate it from airflow. Heck, I could use just about anything, but do kinda want it to look respectable. I'm going to replace the coolant thermostat with a NAPA Superstat and I'm surely going to be putting in another coolant:eek:il heat exchanger that runs bypass (continuous with engine coolant temp) if these reading prove valid.

The main idea was to warm up as a 10 weight ..while operating as a 20 weight ..but we'll still try and push it as low in the 20 weight span as possible.

Bruce suggested that, given the add pack, that running uncooled might just work out. Since my "waste heat" warm up modality has proven to be a pathetic failure ..I may give it a try. Running nek-kid
blush.gif

I'm going to post this question in another thread ..but based on my initial results ..and without any gross errors being discovered ..I've really got to wonder how anyone with one of these Ford heat exchangers on a Crown Vic manage to maintain any oil temp at all ..at least in the winter. They even cool via the lower rad hose. I don't believe that there is any active thermostat in the system (perhaps a passive one is in use).

Quote:

Yes, if I can keep it there (180F) ..right now I appears that even with a thermostat, the 10% (or whatever the real % of flow passing on to the exchanger is) flow diversion lowers my oil temp a great deal. Idling and hill climbing work just fine ..and highway speeds at higher ambient temps appeared reasonable ..today I idled to 187F and took it on the highway and it quickly came down to sub 150F.

I couldn't find the IR gun at my friend's shop today to verify the temp sensor reading, but the numbers at idle looked about right. I can't imagine the steel parts shedding that much heat due to air flow inside the engine compartment ..but that could be an obscure possibility
dunno.gif
I'll fashion some type of wrap that will insulate it from airflow. Heck, I could use just about anything, but do kinda want it to look respectable. I'm going to replace the coolant thermostat with a NAPA Superstat and I'm surely going to be putting in another coolant:eek:il heat exchanger that runs bypass (continuous with engine coolant temp) if these reading prove valid.

The main idea was to warm up as a 10 weight ..while operating as a 20 weight ..but we'll still try and push it as low in the 20 weight span as possible.

Bruce suggested that, given the add pack, that running uncooled might just work out. Since my "waste heat" warm up modality has proven to be a pathetic failure ..I may give it a try. Running nek-kid
blush.gif

I'm going to post this question in another thread ..but based on my initial results ..and without any gross errors being discovered ..I've really got to wonder how anyone with one of these Ford heat exchangers on a Crown Vic manage to maintain any oil temp at all ..at least in the winter. They even cool via the lower rad hose. I don't believe that there is any active thermostat in the system (perhaps a passive one is in use).

Not knocking you in any way, im interested in what you're doing and I love experimenting too, but it's funny, if this site didn't exist you'd probably be building a shed or painting the living room or something.

laugh.gif

Yes. People will give you their cars to "freshen up". Engine manufactures will retreat to wider clearances with less precise tolerances. It will sorta be like buying an older British Leyland product..where when the vehicle had some fitment issue ..the term "well
dunno.gif
It's new. What did you expect?" will come back into vogue.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I took the plunge today. I put Bruce's mad blend in the minivan today.

How was it made?

Doesn't Redline sell a 0W-10 oil? (Just add detergent.) I'd like to see someone experiment with the 0W-5 oil!!!

I would deffer to Bruce ..but I imagine that he tapped off nearly 5 gallons of 4.x CST Group III base stock ..grabbed a graduated cylinder or two ..measured out some additives ..dumped them in ..gave it a stir.

If you ditch most of the additives, you can have your 0w-5 oil.

I have a quart of Mobil 10w 10 oil. Got it from the market to broaden my species, later when asked for it to an oil reatailer he said it is for farmers use, break-in oil for some tractors... Alas, it is only API SE or SD.

gary, how many miles did you have on the orig. engine before you replaced it?

i had a 94 3L caravan that lived it's whole life on 10w30 havoline (140k) and ran great up until someone stole it.
frown.gif

never had a problem with it (well other than paint and a/c). even ran the tranny dry for a couple of hundred miles. i miss it.

175k. It had coolant corrosion that caused the head gaskets to leak externally. Otherwise it ran fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back