Broken ankle - push OCI or pay?

I am in the exact same situation as the original poster. Besides the oil changes, now is the time of year when I get under our vehicles and apply Fluid Film ahead of road salt season. Frustrating not to be able to do anything. I was given a total recovery time of three to four months, with no weight placed on the repaired ankle for the first six weeks. I thought about hobbling out to the garage and doing the oil changes with a creeper and a stool, but to me the risk of slipping and accidentally undoing my repaired ankle is enough to make me pass on that idea. Plus, usually blood thinners are prescribed after this type of surgery. It would unusual to cut one's self doing simple maintenance like this, but I just do not want to have any setbacks. I am not cut out to be a couch potato and miss my mobility. I do not want to delay getting back on my feet.

I understand your thoughts. I'm afraid to let anyone change oil in my vehicles, especially my wife's. I'd run it 12k before I'd take it to anyone. I mean it's not going to be beat on.

I hate the heat myself. I love the cold . But I will say in both temperature extremes I have seldom ever done oil changes in an open environment.

PimTac I understand from your response to bbhero but seriously I think you knew I was poking fun at you.

You are fine man.

No worries.

That time I changed that oil that daggone cold was a bit rough. Wind blowing out of the north and it was legit cold for southeast Va. Think the low temp was in the single digits that night.

Later that winter I went and shoveled snow when it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit or just below zero. Had the car running and had to stop every 12-15 to get in the car and warm my face up. Cleared snow from behind my cars and the neighbors cars. And made a clear walkway for us and the neighbors to our vehicles. It was 2-3 am when I did that. But it needed to be done.

As a true BITOG-er this shouldn’t stop you 😂.
Sorry for your injury. Based on your wife’s driving schedule, 10k will be ok. Look at this way; after 10k you can do UOA and get some interesting info.

Dang man. Sorry to hear about your broken ankle, and I hope it heals very quickly!

If I lived in your area, I’d come over and change it for you!

Surely there’s a BITOG’er in Detroit area who’d do it in exchange for a pizza and a few beers!

So the doctor said to stay off of it but you know better?!?
Unbelievable......
obviously i was joking. If someone injures themselves against doctors ordere because of something tpread on a forum.....that an problem that needs addressing more than this oil,change.

In his situation i would check the oil and see what it looks like on the stick, if it still feels thick and is a good color. keep running it,

Someone might've said this already, but I've never used my ankle in the process of changing my oil. Stop finding excuses and get er done!

I'd pay. But not over $70 for full synthetic.

If you have a Valvoline franchise, Go there. I used them for my work vans and never had any drama, I was in a similar situation and I had them do my car once. No drama, they have a routine designed to idiot proof the process. :cool:

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I always change my own oil. I change the oil in the Spring and Fall regardless of mileage. Generally there are usually 6,000 miles on the oil at that point. I use Penzoil Platinum 5W20 and a Wix filter. I always tell the wife I use good oil and filters just in case something comes up and I can't change it on my normal schedule. Well it happened...

I broke my ankle in a motorcycle race last weekend. I had surgery today and will be out of commission for 8 weeks. I had planned to change the oil this week. There are 7,000 miles on the oil now and am guessing it could have 9,000 - 10,000 miles on it before I can change it myself.

What do you think BobIsTheOilGuy guys? Let it go until I can change it or pay to have it changed?

Some additional info on why I'm reluctant to pay to have it changed... I know two people who had complete engine failures after a shop changed their oil. One was a stripped drain plug. The other was an incorrect oil filter. Also I can't drive so I'd have to have the wife go do it and I already feel bad because she's having to wait on me hand and foot. If I decide to do it, I think I'd rather the dealer do it than a "quicky" shop which means my wife would likely have to take some time off work to get it done.

Doc
It's easy to make a case for any number of scenarios, but it comes down to what makes you feel comfortable. One could even make a point against your reluctance to have a shop do the work for you.

You've received more than 70 replies and numerous suggestions. What have you decided?

If you have a Valvoline franchise, Go there. I used them for my work vans and never had any drama, I was in a similar situation and I had them do my car once. No drama, they have a routine designed to idiot proof the process. :cool:

This is a great idea. You actually sit in the car and they tell you everything they are doing.

Their location in Germantown, TN left the drain plug out of my car once. Admittedly, that was in 1998. But, they aren’t infallible.

I've never had anything as bad as a broken ankle but I've had surgery on my feet and had to be off of them for a few weeks. Like you, I don't want anyone other than myself servicing my cars. For other health problems I was coming up a little late for oil and filter changes on my wife's car. She called our grandson to come over to do it. However, over her objections I got out and managed to get this done before the grandson got here. He is a very fine person and services his car. I just really prefer doing my own. I gave him some 9mm ammunition I had loaded for his visit and willingness to help us.

Back