Broken ankle - push OCI or pay?

Let it go, you have "modern" oil in it, it can be pushed. If you wait 4 weeks you most likely will be up for it a lot more then you are now. Your bone will be set "enough" by then and you will be use to the cast. You will be looking for something to do about that time and just turn it into a 2 hour oil change, slow and rest the foot, slow and rest the foot.

"You will be looking for something to do about that time and just turn it into a 2 hour oil change, slow and rest the foot, slow and rest the foot."

Exactly what I was thinking. You'll be stir crazy soon enough. Don't "Rambo" it.

If your ankle throbs rethink the day.

+1 on the non-oil changing wife (must be a darn good cook?).

Seriously, it's funny but it appears NONE of us here belong to a coterie of merry oil changing men. "Oil for one, one for oil...."

Change it yourself. What’s the worst that could happen? Another 6 weeks of recovery on top of the 8 you already have? Perhaps more if any setbacks require additional surgical correction? We’re talking motor oil here!

It sucks to break bones while competing. Curious what event were you riding in?
You had surgery so I guess welcome to the Stainless Steal pin/screw and or plate club:cool:
Honestly biker to biker, let it go until you can change the oil and filter yourself later when you can hobble around without pain. Even if your best BUD did it for you you will always wonder was it done correctly? :cautious:
The oil is not going to cook and the filter ain't gonna by-pass so leave it.

Oh btw , practice driving using your other foot, it is not the safest way but you can do it.:LOL:

I have a MityVac. If a MV will work for your application, they are very handy and only $100. I'd get a MV and topside drain and fill and leave the filter on until it can be changed at the next interval. You can do that on crutches.

Or, have a trusted buddy do it. Alternately, take it in and have it done, reluctantly. These are probably better options than leaving the oil in for 10K in my view.
Great post.
Once you use a MityVac you will never look back. I used to be a naysayer, but now I am a convert.
I love my MityVac, and yes, you can operate one with minimal effort. And safety for that matter.

engines wont sludge out and let it all out on the bed if you simply go 1-2k over just once, they'll hardly even sludge. PP can go that longer drain anyway in an NA engine and be fine even then and considering you've changed it as frequently as you have go ahead and just go 9-10k on PP since you have a good cleanliness overhead. it's good enough for that at least in one excursion.

if you really cant sleep at night just top off/slightly overfill the engine with M1 EP or more PP but a thicker one to undo a bit of the shear. Don't bother worrying about changing it or getting it changed for you.

Just throw an extra harmless quart in and go a bit longer if it bothers you. ive been going 10k with supertech syn, vds 4.5 rated diesel oil, and now LL-01 5w-40 with 1 quart overfill at the beginning and after almost 90k of that routine on my 312k 6.0 It's perfectly fine. My snake cam showed almost nothing in the valve cover and have hardly any consumption after 10k with no top off. People soil their pants too much about going near or slightly over 10k in their NA engine with a decent oil.

I had the same thoughts (with addition of how to wash my car that is ceramic coated) in my head when I was down for torn Achilles in 2018 and torn ACL in 2019. You should've seen me jumping around my wife's pilot trying to wash it lol. Of course, not saying you should do it, but it is doable. Speedy recovery to you Sir

Temperature affects people in all kinds of different ways. Due to illness it can really cause a fair amount of trouble for some.

Coldest I have changed the oil in my car was low 10s F and wind chill a bit below 0°F.

Heat is my enemy. In spring, summer and early fall I plan to change the oils in my cars when a cool spell happens.

Coldest I have changed the oil in my car was low 10s F and wind chill a bit below 0°F.

In my younger days I did stuff like that. One just has to tough it out to get the job done.

But that was then. Now with diabetic peripheral neuropathy I have trouble grasping tools and even walking sometimes. There comes a moment as I experienced last year that my oil changing days were over. Now I let the dealer do it.

Temperature affects people in all kinds of different ways. Due to illness it can really cause a fair amount of trouble for some.

Coldest I have changed the oil in my car was low 10s F and wind chill a bit below 0°F.ypu get older you will understand

Heat is my enemy. In spring, summer and early fall I plan to change the oils in my cars when a cool spell happens. understand hero
I hate the heat myself. I love the cold . But I will say in both temperature extremes I have seldom ever done oil changes in an open environment.

PimTac I understand from your response to bbhero but seriously I think you knew I was poking fun at you.

When I broke my elbow, I was due for a oil change. I let the local quick lube(not Iffy Lube or Oil Changers) do it. 6 quarts of GTX, one Service Champ E-Core and 3000 miles later I did my own. Except for a filter that I was able to remove without tools, they did a decent job.

Back