Broken ankle - push OCI or pay?

I’d just wait. The problem with paying someone to do an oil change is you often are trusting the least experienced ones in the dealership or quick places to do something to your vehicle that’s always been something I’ve told people to consider. After some of the mess ups our oil changers have had yeah I would not allow them to work on my car. Not saying that can’t happen with someone experienced too but it’s far less likely. We had someone cross thread an oil filter on a Ram once because of the odd spot that it’s in that you can’t hardly reach with it on the lift. And also we don’t normally do oil changes where the person brings the stuff for it because then we don’t make hardly any money. So if you are wanting certain oil or certain filter make sure you could bring your own stuff before going.

If you were near me, I would come over and do it. Of course you would be watching.
Isn't there a BITOG crew in the Detroit area?
If not. take it in and ger 'er done. You will rest better.

Here's to a speedy recovery. Your vehicles will be fine.

I’d just wait. The problem with paying someone to do an oil change is you often are trusting the least experienced ones in the dealership or quick places to do something to your vehicle that’s always been something I’ve told people to consider. After some of the mess ups our oil changers have had yeah I would not allow them to work on my car. Not saying that can’t happen with someone experienced too but it’s far less likely. We had someone cross thread an oil filter on a Ram once because of the odd spot that it’s in that you can’t hardly reach with it on the lift. And also we don’t normally do oil changes where the person brings the stuff for it because then we don’t make hardly any money. So if you are wanting certain oil or certain filter make sure you could bring your own stuff before going.
This reply surprised me more than any of the others just because I know AutoMechanic does 3K mile intervals. I'm with group that just says let it ride until you feel better and can do it yourself. I haven't done it many times but there have been a few times years ago that I ran conventional oil change intervals as high as 10K miles. Over the past couple years I've increased the conventional OCI on two of my cars from 5K-7.5K. If I were running synthetic I'd likely run at least 10K mile intervals.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I appreciate the opinions. It's interesting to see they are split. Here some answers to the questions...

Who's putting miles on it? My wife drives this truck. I have Ram 3500 with a 6.7 Cummins. So she will continue to put miles on the 1500. My Cummins is also due. I change them on the same time schedule but I put a lot more miles on the Cummins because of my racing. I won't be driving the Cummins so no worries on that truck.

Why can't I just change the oil in 2-3 weeks?... I had surgery that included plates and screws. I cannot put any weight on it for 8 weeks. I'm on crutches. I have to admit I underestimated how hard that makes everything. So I really don't think it's a wise move for me to try to change the oil prior to the 8 weeks.

What kind of miles are on the Ram? It's probably 25% highway, 50% 55 MPH country roads, 25% suburb city driving.

Doc

I'm gonna tell you something that will help your ankle heal better and faster.. . After you get the cast off..

Heat and hot water routinely on it.

Hot tubs will definitely work. Hot baths too.

This helps blood flow to the foot and that helps it heal faster. Also helps with range of motion first thing in the AM.

Range of motion is key to helping gain back that and a bit better strength too.

Taking 150 pounds or so on a leg press sled and putting the balls of your feet on the bottom edge... Then push and lower that weight as far as you can will help with range of motion be and strength too.

I did these things after a very, very bad sprain on my left ankle. I had blood drain down to the left side of my foot it was so bad.

Heat and hot tub and hot bath treatment really helped me feel better a lot faster. The weight training helped with regaining range of motion and strength too.

As far the oil change goes... It would be fine to go to 9k or 10k miles. Like dishdudes said just have someone make sure it's topped up and good to go.

I'm gonna tell you something that will help your ankle heal better and faster.. . After you get the cast off..

Heat and hot water routinely on it.

Hot tubs will definitely work. Hot baths too.

This helps blood flow to the foot and that helps it heal faster. Also helps with range of motion first thing in the AM.

Range of motion is key to helping gain back that and a bit better strength too.

Taking 150 pounds or so on a leg press sled and putting the balls of your feet on the bottom edge... Then push and lower that weight as far as you can will help with range of motion be and strength too.

I did these things after a very, very bad sprain on my left ankle. I had blood drain down to the left side of my foot it was so bad.

Heat and hot tub and hot bath treatment really helped me feel better a lot faster. The weight training helped with regaining range of motion and strength too.

As far the oil change goes... It would be fine to go to 9k or 10k miles. Like dishdudes said just have someone make sure it's topped up and good to go.

Thanks for the tips. You're the second person today that has told me that soaking in hit water will help. Once the doc clears me to put weight on it I'll definitely be working it out (starting slow) to regain strength snd range of motion.

Thanks again for all the replies and opinions guys! I'm just going to keep an eye on the oil level and let it ride. I've always changed the oil before the oil life monitor told me to, so I've not paid a lot of attention to the oil life monitor. I'll check it tomorrow. I just checked the owners manual and while it says follow the monitor, it does also reference 10,000 miles. So I wonder if that's what the monitor is also going to recommend if it's just a "dumb" monitor and doesn't actually take driving conditions into consideration.

So if the factory OCI recommendation is that high, combined with the fact I've got Penzoil Platinum / WIX in the truck and the fact that most of our driving is either highway or 55 MPH country roads, I'm confident it shouldn't be an issue.

The irony is I use good oil / filter and change it early specifically to leave buffer for situations just like this. So I'm not sure why I was concerned about it. It's just when you've had a religious routine for the last 7 years on a vehicle it makes you second guess yourself when you can't do it.

Doc

Tough call as you're borderline. The Pennz Plat is probably okay for 10k miles but IMO that's pushing it. I'd prefer it changed even if just the oil.

I have a MityVac. If a MV will work for your application, they are very handy and only $100. I'd get a MV and topside drain and fill and leave the filter on until it can be changed at the next interval. You can do that on crutches.

Or, have a trusted buddy do it. Alternately, take it in and have it done, reluctantly. These are probably better options than leaving the oil in for 10K in my view.

I find it funny that most people consider the dealer a step up from a quick change place. Who do you think the dealer will have do the oil changes? I don't think they will be putting their master tech on it. I stopped going to the dealer for changes when I noticed they didn't change the filter. Dumb mistake? Trying to save $1? I will never know. I just know that the FIRST time I marked my filter it was still there when it came back, so yeah, I don't trust the dealer anymore for anything. At least when I go to valvoline I can get out and stand by my door and see them do everything. The dealer has someone drive it off from the drop off lane to have I don't know who do who knows what to it. In this case I would just wait or talk someone through it. When it come to the drain plug just use a 6 inch socket wrench and tell them to only use two fingers to tighten it.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I always change my own oil. I change the oil in the Spring and Fall regardless of mileage. Generally there are usually 6,000 miles on the oil at that point. I use Penzoil Platinum 5W20 and a Wix filter. I always tell the wife I use good oil and filters just in case something comes up and I can't change it on my normal schedule. Well it happened...

I broke my ankle in a motorcycle race last weekend. I had surgery today and will be out of commission for 8 weeks. I had planned to change the oil this week. There are 7,000 miles on the oil now and am guessing it could have 9,000 - 10,000 miles on it before I can change it myself.

What do you think BobIsTheOilGuy guys? Let it go until I can change it or pay to have it changed?

Some additional info on why I'm reluctant to pay to have it changed... I know two people who had complete engine failures after a shop changed their oil. One was a stripped drain plug. The other was an incorrect oil filter. Also I can't drive so I'd have to have the wife go do it and I already feel bad because she's having to wait on me hand and foot. If I decide to do it, I think I'd rather the dealer do it than a "quicky" shop which means my wife would likely have to take some time off work to get it done.

Doc
9-10k one time is no big deal, especially on a port injected engine.

Here Is what your owners manual says. Wait for the OCI light but don’t exceed 10,000 miles. There are 6800 oil change shops in the USA plus those of dealerships. Most Bitoggers cringe at using them, but millions of people get their oil changed at them with no problems. Just say’in.

B11008A0-BF3B-4C77-9D87-B235E2B05FB1.png

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the replies and opinions guys! I'm just going to keep an eye on the oil level and let it ride. I've always changed the oil before the oil life monitor told me to, so I've not paid a lot of attention to the oil life monitor. I'll check it tomorrow. I just checked the owners manual and while it says follow the monitor, it does also reference 10,000 miles. So I wonder if that's what the monitor is also going to recommend if it's just a "dumb" monitor and doesn't actually take driving conditions into consideration.

So if the factory OCI recommendation is that high, combined with the fact I've got Penzoil Platinum / WIX in the truck and the fact that most of our driving is either highway or 55 MPH country roads, I'm confident it shouldn't be an issue.

The irony is I use good oil / filter and change it early specifically to leave buffer for situations just like this. So I'm not sure why I was concerned about it. It's just when you've had a religious routine for the last 7 years on a vehicle it makes you second guess yourself when you can't do it.

Doc
One 10k run will not change the destiny of that Mopar - Safely getting back to normal is job one !

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I'd ask a friend, or wait a few weeks and slide under it and do it myself.

My mechanic will change my oil for $10, if I supply the oil and filter.

Since this is the guy who I trust for everything else, I can probably trust him to change the oil too.

Back