Broke down and picked up a robo-vacuum

I fell in to a few hundred bucks of "fun money" recently so I decided to buy something useful yet unnecessary: a robot vacuum. There's a ton of sales right now however I felt like this was the best deal:

Ecovacs DEEBOT 711S

Granted, it's a year old model, but it's got many of the good features of today's models for a significant savings. I especially like the smart navigation/room modeling feature. That's tough to find under $230 or so.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I haven't experienced robo-vac ownership so this is a new thing for me. Anyways, maybe this deal will jump out to someone else on here!

Got one 2 yrs ago. Just the plain simple one. Does a good job "if" you use it at least every 2 days. Every day is better. Mine is the one where it just goes, doesn't go in a set pattern. Over all I'd give it a 8. You'll be happy with it. Note: You "will" be standing there watching it.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

We have a Deebot 500. Bought it as a refurbished unit month or so ago for like $130. Does a surprisingly nice job, and will drive right over transition pieces and thresholds, but it does get stuck under some of our furniture. It sends you a message over it's phone app and will shut off after a certain amount of time if you don't rescue it. Same if it sucks up a string or such. It will just stop vacuuming and navigate itself back to its docking station.

I had a Roomba and it worked well until it broke. It had a habit of trying to move furniture and got stuck a lot.

There is a funny story on the internet of a guy who used to let his robot vac run all night cleaning while he slept. Well one night his cat missed its litter box by a mile and by the morning that robot had spread a fine patina of kitty poo all over his house.

Never let your cat and your robot roam together.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
We have a higher end Roomba (800+ series, cant remember) for 4+ years or so now. Still working great and boy does my wife put it to work, other then maintenance replacing the side sweep brush, its been flawless, wife wants another one for the second floor so she doesnt have to carry it upstairs. We arent brand loyal people but when a product exceeds our expectations, at that point we become loyal.
They have come down in price, can get the Roomba E5 (or equal) for as low as 229. Years ago I paid almost double that. Of course endless features and options you can spend much more.

Yup, they are being sold. Dont know anyone who has one YET.
I saw one on my way to work last year. Was sitting at a red light and noticed a lawn mower unit going by itself on a small lawn. Pretty cool!

I saw one on my way to work last year. Was sitting at a red light and noticed a lawn mower unit going by itself on a small lawn. Pretty cool!
Yeah, I suspect its just a matter of time before way more are on lawns. Me personally? I look at cutting the lawn and landscaping as a good work out but I look around at almost all my neighbors and I see landscapers doing it.
But Ill never say never for me!

Yeah, I suspect its just a matter of time before way more are on lawns. Me personally? I look at cutting the lawn and landscaping as a good work out but I look around at almost all my neighbors and I see landscapers doing it.
But Ill never say never for me!
It's about 50-50 in my neighborhood between people that mow their own and people that pay someone. I pay. I hate lawn work. I've hated it since i was a kid.

Ive had an Ecovacs Deebot for a year and love it. Just bought a higher end Ecovacs that does vac and mop. I have two cats and run my vacs daily and it's amazing what they pickup.

We purchased a Eufy Robovac 30C for the main floor which is all hardwood. I start it when I see a just a little bit of junk around and boy am I always surprised at how full the bin is at the completion of its rounds!

I bought a second one for the living room, but there are too many of the kids‘ small toys and things to get stuck on to make it worth while. Unfortunately, the area I’m talking about is about the best spot for the kids’ fort, kitchen set and toy stash that were all built/purchased just after we got the second vac...What was great for a short period of time very quickly turned into a waste of money. The second vac now sits, unused, as an expensive backup to the main one.

Have they ever included a warning to dog owners? Brother in law has one of those early ones, and it picked up dog poop and spread it all over the place. Took hours of cleaning and wrecked some carpet.

How do these vacuums doing around dining room chair legs etc? to me it looks like they won't be able to get into those tighter areas. I'm guessing one of these days, they'll come up with a smaller sized unit to reach into these areas.

It's amazing that there are so many manufacturers selling this vacuums.

I fell in to a few hundred bucks of "fun money" recently so I decided to buy something useful yet unnecessary: a robot vacuum. There's a ton of sales right now however I felt like this was the best deal:

Ecovacs DEEBOT 711S

Granted, it's a year old model, but it's got many of the good features of today's models for a significant savings. I especially like the smart navigation/room modeling feature. That's tough to find under $230 or so.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I haven't experienced robo-vac ownership so this is a new thing for me. Anyways, maybe this deal will jump out to someone else on here!
My fiance and I just got one for our anniversary present to each other. Only had it running for one day so far but it seems pretty good. Fits all the way under our bed and nightstands where we would never be able to get without removing the furniture. We got the Roomba 671.

Ecovacs DEEBOT 711S

Let us know how you like it. Don't know much about these robot vacuums but would love to get it.

How do these vacuums doing around dining room chair legs etc? to me it looks like they won't be able to get into those tighter areas. I'm guessing one of these days, they'll come up with a smaller sized unit to reach into these areas.

It's amazing that there are so many manufacturers selling this vacuums.

The dumb Eufy Robovac 30C that I have uses an algorithm, front bumper, and sensors to navigate. It, and most in its price range, do NOT actually navigate. They usually bounce around and follow seemingly random patterns for two hours and then return themselves to the dock way fuller of debris than you'd ever expect!

With that said, you'll drive yourself mad if you end up watching the robovac bounce around under a dining room table and chairs for half an hour before finally moving on to the rest of the floor.

I have a Samsung PowerBot that I bought ~3 years ago and it is a total time saver mainly for pet hair pickup (I have 3 cats). Only bad is it is on its last legs now so it was an expensive time saver as it cost ~$500 new. I don't trust Consumer Reports anymore as the Samsung line were the top rated back then - now 3 years later and its limping along. I have been very good about maintenance on it (cleaning the dust bin, filters and pulling the roller regularly to clear hair, strings, etc. It only makes it home maybe 10% of the time, now it just gets lost or dies suddenly trying to get home.

Next one won't be another Samsung - they have kinda let their robot vac line languish on the vine and still selling same exact ones they made back in 2018.

Back