Briggs & Stratton 5W30 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got so much useful information's from BITOG ... so my turn to contribute something.

Sent a sample of the genuine Briggs & Stratton 5W30 Synthetic in for VOA:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-wiXu6hVzF-MEc1M29yUkJHWkk/view?usp=sharing

Right now using this oil in new my Billy Goat leaf vaccum with 500 Series Briggs & Stratton L-head engine.

After I drained the oil the dealer put in after 5 hours running, this is what I'm planning to use at least as long the unit is under warranty.

interesting that briggs uses an oil with almost 1300 of zinc. If Briggs specifies that their name brand oil has 1300 of zinc in it, should we be using pcmo oils with only 750 or so? I personally run amsoil motorcycle oil, or Amsoil hdd, or rotella.

Interesting- pretty light on every OTHER additive except CA. Flashpoint right on the edge.

I'd think a name-brand HDEO would be a little better. Need to pull up a VOA of Kohler's oil to compare... if I can make the search engine work.

The Yardman/White synthetic 5w30 snowblower oil (IIRC Liberty Oil Co, it been a long time) was the best oil i've run in my Toyota. Slaughtered name brand under additised GF4 oils. Thinkl it was an API SG.

About same idea I had ... adding a very little of Liqui Moly mos2 additve to it. 1/4% to 1/2% maybe ... if using more the oil gets this nasty color.

Originally Posted By: J611
About same idea I had ... adding a very little of Liqui Moly mos2 additve to it. 1/4% to 1/2% maybe ... if using more the oil gets this nasty color.

Yea a down fall of using LM makes your oil look bad and you want to change it out lol.

The FP Blackstone measured seems about correct. I got the datasheet from Eurol B.V. Netherlands, who are makes the oils for Briggs & Stratton in europe. ( >220 degrees celsius ) Sadly only have the data sheet in german, but if anyone still wants it, I can upload it.

Originally Posted By: J611
The FP Blackstone measured seems about correct. I got the datasheet from Eurol B.V. Netherlands, who are makes the oils for Briggs & Stratton in europe. ( >220 degrees celsius ) Sadly only have the data sheet in german, but if anyone still wants it, I can upload it.

Any inclination of the base oil? GIII?

I've just bought a new lawnmower with a B&S engine in it and am wondering which oil to use. I'm in the UK, so the only B&S synthetic is the winter one mentioned above (5W30).

I have two questions about this:

1.) Am I OK getting this oil and using it even through the break-in of the engine? Or should I perhaps use their straight SAE 30 oil for the first 5 hours of break-in, then switch to the synthetic? Their website suggests that it's OK to break-in with synthetic oil...

2.) Can I use some left-over Castrol Edge 5W30 or 0W30 that have (also known as GC in the USA)? Or does it perhaps not have the right additives for this type of engine?

The B+S 5w30 is fine for all times in the engine. Since I have found B+S oil to be more expensive than needed, the other oils you mention are fine also.

Originally Posted By: TheRuss
I've just bought a new lawnmower with a B&S engine in it and am wondering which oil to use. I'm in the UK, so the only B&S synthetic is the winter one mentioned above (5W30).

I have two questions about this:

1.) Am I OK getting this oil and using it even through the break-in of the engine? Or should I perhaps use their straight SAE 30 oil for the first 5 hours of break-in, then switch to the synthetic? Their website suggests that it's OK to break-in with synthetic oil...

2.) Can I use some left-over Castrol Edge 5W30 or 0W30 that have (also known as GC in the USA)? Or does it perhaps not have the right additives for this type of engine?

After you break it in with the factory fill, you can surely go ahead and use either of those Castrol oils without worry.

Thanks Triton, but the mower is shipped dry and without any oil in the box, that's why I was wondering if I could break it in on the Castrol.

There was mention in this thread about certain oils not having enough zinc in them, but hopefully the Castrol oils are still good enough. I used that oil in a couple of 300 - 400bhp BMWs that I had, so I'd have thought they would be plenty good enough for a low power lawn mower engine. I now have a diesel VW that uses Quantum oil in a synthetic 5W30 grade, which I believe is actually made by Castrol as well and very similar to GC/Castrol Edge FST, so hopefully that will be fine in the mower also.

Originally Posted By: TheRuss
Thanks Triton, but the mower is shipped dry and without any oil in the box, that's why I was wondering if I could break it in on the Castrol.

There was mention in this thread about certain oils not having enough zinc in them, but hopefully the Castrol oils are still good enough. I used that oil in a couple of 300 - 400bhp BMWs that I had, so I'd have thought they would be plenty good enough for a low power lawn mower engine. I now have a diesel VW that uses Quantum oil in a synthetic 5W30 grade, which I believe is actually made by Castrol as well and very similar to GC/Castrol Edge FST, so hopefully that will be fine in the mower also.

Oh I see. Can you elaborate on the specific details of the mower? What is it, and what engine is it using?

Anyway, probably regardless, since it's shipped dry, I'd personally recommend using either of these two oils to break it in:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CHV0/HD30/N0436.oap

or

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CHV1/40030/N0436.oap

Run the engine between 1/4 and 3/4 (so essentially at 1/2 throttle) for 5 hours (this is coming straight from B&S themselves, though I accidentally closed the webpage I found that on) using either of those oils. Then, drain the oil, and put whatever you want in, which either of those Castrols would do fine.

~Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back