Briggs Quantums

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I'm new to the site and this is my first post
smile.gif

I've got 3 Quantums, one 1995 4hp, a 2011 675 series, and a 2004 6.5hp

The 675 is hardly used. Factory fill changed at about 4 hours to Mobil Special 30w. It smokes for a second on hot restart if it's sat for a few minutes, but never on cold start or if its started within say 5 minutes of shutoff. Kind of lacks power also. the smoking started after just a couple hours of use, but the lack of power has been there since day 1

The 4hp is of unknown hours, I recently acquired it from an older guy in the neighborhood. I saw it sitting by his shed and asked about it, because I recognized it as the same mower my mom had when I was little.
It runs good, starts right up and runs smooth. It smokes briefly on cold starts and has a bit of a clatter to it at steady RPM, more of a knock when throttling up from idle. I've had several quantums that made this noise in the past that never got any worse.
I did pull the head off to inspect, because of the nice cloud of blue it gives on cold starts. It's amazingly clean given it's age, the cylinder looks good except one line. About 1/8" wide the whole length of the cylinder is a nice gouge. but it's not a solid line, it's pitted. smooth with the rest of the cylinder between pits. What's with that?
I've changed the oil in it a few times, it was nasty and black when I got it.
first change was Mobil Special 30w, which was black after about 15 minutes of running. changed again twice with Rotella t5 10w30, and then filled with Royal purple 10w30, it's what I had sitting in the shed. which still, got a little dirty soon after being put in. The engine has a good deal of muck built up in it.

The 6.5hp, I just rebuilt, doesn't smoke or clatter. Filled with 10w30 Royal Purple, to finish off what I had left sitting in the shed.

I guess my question is, what should I be running in these? And could anybody explain the 4hp's pitted line in the cylinder? or the 675 series lack of power and smoke on hot restarts with hardly any use

I think the Royal Purple 10w30 will be great.....mine as well smokes, but I have had it running hard each year since 1993. Never been touched. I ran Amsoil 30w diesel and then Amsoil 10w30 and now Amsoil 0w40. All is well!

Good to have you onboard!

I don't give a second thought RE: OPE engines and oils, so long as I use either 15W40 Isosyn or similar (delvac is fine also).

I don't go fancy on syn oil, don't see the need to pay extra premium on lubricant when I realise that eventually, most of the alu bore engines will wear out, abeit sooner than iron sleeved ones.

I do check my oil level everytime before I fire up the engine.

For 675 series engine lacks power, check valve lash and also the side-draft walbro (clone) carb.

Q.

Quantums have plain bearings machined into the engine block and bottom plate. They will develope some play, and cause a knock. They will not however wear out as a result and usually will not get worse.

Vertical bore engine seep oil when off. Its just the way they are. There is no valve seals either, so a little will leak as well.

With a good carb, and good maint you will get many years out of it. The chinese ing coils, and plastic cam gear is going to be the source of the engine failure. Not the engine itself.

I swapped the main jet between the 675 and 4hp. Now the 675 has power and the 4hp doesn't. Also, with it's original main jet, the 675 smooths out slightly if you manually apply the choke just a Tad.
Jetted a hair too lean to meet emissions I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back