Briggs and Stratton oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this strange,

**10w-30 will have higher oil consumption above 80 degrees**

5w-30 Synthetic - was the best all around choice

and SAE 30 is the normal stuff

I'd think straight 30 would have a lower Noack, so wouldn t burn off as fast. I always do with SAE 30 if I can find it, which seems harder to do these days.

SAE30 is still popular and even so in the 18 and 20oz bottles labeled "specially formulated for 4 cycle small engines".

I'm just going to switch out my supply - run both the snow blower and lawn mower on Full Synthetic 5w-30. can't stand having too many bottles on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'd think straight 30 would have a lower Noack, so wouldn t burn off as fast. I always do with SAE 30 if I can find it, which seems harder to do these days.
NOACK doesn't have much to do with the oil burning off.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
I found this strange,

In NY - a similar climate to SE Michigan, 5W40 Synthetic is best, assuming your mower is a walk-behind.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Not so sure about that. Evey measure the crankcase temp of your mower on a 80+ F day? I did on mine with an IR gun and it was running at 260~270 F.

Straight 30 might also have better HTHS and be a bit less vicious at higher temps than a 5W-30. Of course in colder climates the 5W-30 will be better for cold start-ups.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Not so sure about that. Evey measure the crankcase temp of your mower on a 80+ F day? I did on mine with an IR gun and it was running at 260~270 F.

No never did, I do own an IR gun. what temps should I be seeing "260-270F?

No never did, I do own an IR gun. what temps should I be seeing "260-270F?

If the engine is air cooled the oil temps are going to be at least that hot on a warm day.

T6 in everything!
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I found this strange,

In NY - a similar climate to SE Michigan, 5W40 Synthetic is best, assuming your mower is a walk-behind.

Power went out last night … so 4 hours on my newest gen … 389 cc Chonda … that makes about 13 hours at around 60~80% load on 10w30… wonder if that’s ready for 5w40 synthetic now ???

Ace Hardware still has their oil at $1.99/qt. I saw it yesterday, all the usual grades including 30. SN rated. Briggs probably is saying synthetic holds up to heat better.

I have used Shell ROTELLA T5 10w30 in my B&S 20 HP twin and have noticed very little oil consumption during a 50 Hour oil change interval. Walmart carries it in a 4Q jug. A hardy blend oil. Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
I found this strange,

Power went out last night … so 4 hours on my newest gen … 389 cc Chonda … that makes about 13 hours at around 60~80% load on 10w30… wonder if that’s ready for 5w40 synthetic now ???

I have a champion 3500/4000-WATT generator that too recommends 10w-30. I'll stick with the 10w-30, I am running Formula Shell now I don't see any problems but I may switch to a Synthetic since the machine sits in storage more than used.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I found this strange,

I run M1 10-30 in my OPE which includes my 5KW gen. I have used it about 25 hrs since the last oil change with 0 oil use. Also I use this oil in my pressure washer and 21HP B&S powered Craftsman mower with no oil use in my normal 2 year OCI.

I forgot to mention one thing my mower that was left to me by the previous homeowners, is a craftsman that has the never change oil Briggs.. I am not a fan of this, I run the mower out of fuel and turn over on its side to drain the oil. I just don't get why Briggs put that statement about the 10w-30 I just won't over-think it and continue what I am doing since there's no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back