Brick Waterproofing

Many years ago my neighbor bought some brick sealant from the Midwest, I am guessing like 1995 or so, long story short, his house got porous bricks and he bought a seleant that was good for like 10 years or so, he got it out in the Midwest. This stuff only needed to be put on once every 10 years or so, well he passed away and the new owner is having issues. I cannot find this company that sells stuff to the public. and my new neighbor is awesome and I really want to help him out. Any help is appreciated!

Would driveway sealant not work? I mean this seems like a common product.

Contact an industrial supply company like Mid Atlantic Supply (http://www.midatlanticsupply.net/) in Churchville, MD. I bought a brick sealant from then some years back that they recommended. I'll be needing to get more in another year or two.

Also, driveway sealants for concrete won't work as well as one for brick.

Contact an industrial supply company like Mid Atlantic Supply (http://www.midatlanticsupply.net/) in Churchville, MD. I bought a brick sealant from then some years back that they recommended. I'll be needing to get more in another year or two.

Also, driveway sealants for concrete won't work as well as one for brick.

I gave them a call, no go, from what the girl said on the phone, but thanks anyway!

Many years ago, I used Hydrozo for exactly the same application and it worked wonderfully! Not cheap, but does exactly what it says and is totally invisible. As I recall, application was with a pump up garden sprayer.
The manufacturer has changed hands a couple of times since then, so I can't vouch for this exact product, but it appears to be the same.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=20261

Many years ago, I used Hydrozo for exactly the same application and it worked wonderfully! Not cheap, but does exactly what it says and is totally invisible. As I recall, application was with a pump up garden sprayer.
The manufacturer has changed hands a couple of times since then, so I can't vouch for this exact product, but it appears to be the same.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=20261
Good stuff!!

Sorry to hear they couldn't help.

The MasterProtect H1000 sure sounds like what we used when we treated our bricks. I do remember that what we bought was costly and it was not "watered down". It was pure product that could be directly applied to the brick surface after it was cleaned and dry.

Good Luck!

Sorry to hear they couldn't help.

The MasterProtect H1000 sure sounds like what we used when we treated our bricks. I do remember that what we bought was costly and it was not "watered down". It was pure product that could be directly applied to the brick surface after it was cleaned and dry.

Good Luck!

They would not even sell anything to people, homeowners, they wanted to come out and do the job themselves.

What type of issues is he having?

Above the front door is a big window on the 2nd floor, so the front of the house on the east side is all brick, and supposedly there was some water inside the front door and some damage to the frame around the door.

On the 2nd floor it is not a window, like 1 that you would open up, it is like a big decorative window, the original owner of the house sprayed the brick with sealant that was said to be good for 10 years or so. Well he got sick and passed away in 2016 and his wife sold it in the summer of 2021. It was thought that when this house was built that it got a bad batch of bricks, since none of the other houses had this issue. I have been told that the thought was that water from driving rain storms was seeping into the brick and then coming inside the house around the doorway. The new owner put in a new front door, and now there is a storm door, since there was never a storm door on there.

First thing I would do is caulk all the way around the door, on the sides where the brick butts up against the door trim and above the door between the angle iron and door trim. Even if there were cracks in the mortar along the edges of the brick it would take some pretty strong winds to blow water all the way through but I suppose it could happen. In the 20 years I was a mason I've only seen that spray used once.

Back