Breaking: GM Oshawa closing all operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
As sad as this is, at least the affected ones have about a year to regroup and obtain new employment. There are many jobs in other sectors that get a day or week notice sending them scrambling.

To have the govt intervene anymore with help than it does other industries when this occurs would be simply biased.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by PimTac

You paid how much for your van again?

Maybe your transit is safe and clean. Ours is full of transients shooting up and other things I won't mention here.

Yup, I wouldn't do public transit if you paid me, yuck!

Me either! I don't care if its free, I would never use public transit. Never have and never will.

I do know people have to live near their jobs , but the whole big city living culture would put me in a funny farm . My driveway is so long i can get up to 45 mph if im in a hurry , and i can get to the grocery store with only 1 stop sign .

This just about sums up millennial thinking.
Why take responsibility of owning a car when you can just let someone do it for you?

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Why take responsibility of owning a car when you can just let someone do it for you?

Millennials dont need a car for S@X anymore , they just do the nasty on mom's couch in the basement , then call uber to take her home

It's unfair to be critical about some of these things. I'm an older millennial in my mid 30's that would never give up my car, so I don't agree with it, but I can understand and respect why some people might not want to own a car. Everyone I know around my age, that are technically millennials, owns a car. I can only think of one friend that owned a car, and didn't use it a lot because he lived in Brookline, and took the T to downtown Boston for work.

The article below states that it's true, higher income millennials are driving less, but presumably because they're living in major cities with better mass transit, where a car isn't really needed. The article also notes that lower income millennials are actually driving more.
https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-are-driving-more-bad-news-luxury-carmakers-2018-5

Quotes from the article below
"Arity researchers said most people average 321 hours in the car each year and get 120 hours of vacation."
"Unhappiness with driving becomes more pronounced, with 59 percent of millennials saying they'd "rather spend time doing more productive tasks than driving,"" It's fair to take issue with how much time one wastes sitting behind the wheel of a car every day if you have a longer commute to work.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...e-e12f-11e8-8f5f-a55347f48762_story.html

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by Dallas69

Millennials dont need a car for S@X anymore , they just do the nasty on mom's couch in the basement , then call uber to take her home

We have lowest unemployment rate in 49 years, and millennials are majority of working capable adults. That means contrary to your belief that they do work.
Economy is changing. Why owning a car if one lives in Bay area, or NYC? Uber is cheaper when you take into consideration cost of parking, owning, maintenance, insurance etc. It is logical, it is very capitalist to have that attitude. Makes all financial sense in the world. So GM will make vehicles for people who still want to own vehicle, and will make vehicles for those who do not want. It is life and death for automotive industry in general. Economy is going through rapid change. Those who adapt will liv, those who do not, well, will end up like coal country.

Originally Posted by irv
That is one, if not currently, GM Oshawa's biggest expenses!

People are thinking we're overthinking this, or maybe oversimplifying this. I already suggested that there were probably multiple reasons why Plant X was chosen to be shut down. I would guarantee that high electric bills didn't put a checkmark in the positive side for the decision making process. If Ontario electricity were free for them, then it would no longer be a negative.

Let's see ...
We've covered the topic of GM closing some plants, and added in Politics, Sex and personal insults.
We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back