Breaking: GM Oshawa closing all operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by irv
This is a bad day!! Workers are now either being sent home, walking off the job or GM has shut down the lines?

Just last week was a deadline to get people to take packages. My wife wasn't one of them.

That sucks, I didn't realize your wife worked for GM.
frown.gif
I wonder if the union can help some of these people get jobs at Ford in Oakville? I know a few months ago they were hiring a bunch of people as they are adding a midnight shift at the plant there.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by irv
This is a bad day!! Workers are now either being sent home, walking off the job or GM has shut down the lines?

Just last week was a deadline to get people to take packages. My wife wasn't one of them.

That sucks, I didn't realize your wife worked for GM.
frown.gif
I wonder if the union can help some of these people get jobs at Ford in Oakville? I know a few months ago they were hiring a bunch of people as they are adding a midnight shift at the plant there.

My wife just got a promotion a couple months ago too. She is contract so she doesn't make great money but every bit helps, especially this day and age.

I don't know if the news has announced it yet but officially GM will close Oshawa at the end of 2019.
I have other family members in there as well. My niece and nephew both and many friends too.

I don't know? I am sure the Union will do what they can but I don't think there are enough openings to absorb 2500-2700 employees.

Plants are also closing Stateside as well supposedly? Plants in Detroit, Warren, Baltimore and Lordstown are supposedly on the axe. Sad day south of the border as well.
frown.gif

Last edited:
It's official, update from the CBC:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/general-motors-closure-oshawa-assembly-plant-1.4920438

Originally Posted by CBC

Thousands of General Motors assembly plant workers in Oshawa, Ont., halted production this morning before hearing the devastating news that the automaker plans to close the facility in 2019.

It's not clear how many of the 2,500 employees will lose their jobs as part of a global restructuring move to lower carbon emissions and prepare for a future of electric and autonomous vehicles, but GM confirmed the closure Monday of the plant, which is about 60 kilometres east of Toronto, and said it is exploring options to retool the facility.

Unifor, the union representing autoworkers in Oshawa, said late Sunday it has not heard "complete details of the overall announcement," but was told no vehicles are set to be assembled at the facility past December 2019.

"Based on commitments made during 2016 contract negotiations, Unifor does not accept this announcement and is immediately calling on GM to live up to the spirit of that agreement," the statement read, noting that contract negotiations were slated for 2020.

The union will hold talks with GM on Monday afternoon. Premier Doug Ford is also expected to comment on the situation when he's at Queen's Park before noon.

The Detroit-based automaker had been quiet on the expected move since news broke Sunday evening.

But GM chairman and CEO Mary Barra revealed during a morning news conference in Detroit that it would be terminating production at the Oshawa facility, along with two other complexes in Detroit and Warren, Ohio.

"This industry is changing very rapidly and we want to make sure we're well positioned," Barra told reporters, noting the automaker will be focusing on its future through investment in autonomous and electric vehicles.

GM has yet to set a timetable for the production halt at the Oshawa plant, but confirmed it will take place sometime in 2019.

Workers inside the plant stopped production shortly before 9 a.m. ET.

Looks like some massive downsizing is taking place with Oshawa unfortunately being one of the first casualties.

Lovely, absolutely lovely,,,,always nice to hear when your company says they are closing....and where do you go after that...??

Originally Posted by mikered30
GM is killing the Volt, cruze, and impala. Yikes.

Cars are not selling anymore, it's all about trucks and SUVs this day and age. My wife said they are outselling cars something like 10 to 1, especially Stateside.

Other big changes are coming as well, including multi person type vehicles whereas you will no longer officially own a vehicle yourself but rather have multiple owners who share said vehicle. The future is changing big time!

Originally Posted by irv
Plants are also closing Stateside as well supposedly? Plants in Detroit, Warren, Baltimore and Lordstown are supposedly on the axe. Sad day south of the border as well.
frown.gif

The factory in Maryland only makes transmissions, and even them I think only for cars. Supposedly something like 310 people work there.

Originally Posted by irv

Cars are not selling anymore, it's all about trucks and SUVs this day and age. My wife said they are outselling cars something like 10 to 1, especially Stateside.

Other big changes are coming as well, including multi person type vehicles whereas you will no longer officially own a vehicle yourself but rather have multiple owners who share said vehicle. The future is changing big time!

I know someone who works for Amazon and lives 30 miles south. Amazon pays for her rail pass and provides free shuttles from the train station to the workplace. She only uses her car on weekends. Many people just use Uber or other services.

It is definitely changing the mindset in urban areas.

Originally Posted by irv

It doesn't seem companies have thought this through. People don't want cars they want trucks, SUVs, and crossovers but at the same time they want multiperson vehicles. LOL. I see more closures on the horizon with these out of touch companies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by daves87rs

GM has wanted out of most of Canada for some time now......they have too many plants right now.......

Definitely been planning this for years. That last feeble announcement of "allocation" to 2020 (2019 irl) few years back hit the ears as "Yeah the future looks bright guys, we're extending production until 2020! Please continue to have a high morale and build our product as least defectively as possible and without resent, until we hit the button"

It's no consolation but here in The UK, our entire car industry is looking straight into the barrel of a loaded gun with the lunatic fringe of our Conservative Party just itching to pull the trigger! Over the last two years, the Brexit process has run completely out of control & is now almost out of time. At the end of March 2019, we face crashing out of The EU without any sort of agreed trade deal. If this happens, I fully expect Ford, PSA, Toyota, Honda & Nissan to shut up shop & move production overseas.

Talk about turkeys voting for an early Christmas!!

Looks like GM is also or has closed some US plants as well. Probably a combination of a lack of car sales with a shift to SUV/CUV/Truck, and maybe them trying to get ahead of an economic downturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back