Break in 200HP Yamaha V-MAX Synthetic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new power head for my 2002 Yamaha V-MAX 2 stroke outboard. I have run Yamalube for some time in other outboards with good results. I use amsoil HP Injector in another outboard currently and it has worked very well in the short time i have used it. My question is, should I use the Amsoil during break in on this two stroke? Will it interrupt the rings seating in the cylinders? Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah its a Grady White so lots of trips to mexico and was used quite extensively up in the nothwest(Seattle, Canada, Idaho). This motor is actually one I bought that had a new powerhead installed. And of course alot of the Yamaha guys tell me to only run Yamalube but I dont really think its the best 2 stroke lube out there.

I was using Yamalube semi-synthetic. The powerhead is about 19 years old ( 175HP Yamaha). It burned a cylinder down in mexico about 25 miles out after some issues with the oil pump. SO has anyone here used Amsoil HP Injector on a new outboard and if so what is your advice and experience with it. THanks!

It is really neat you use the boat ! Engines break in great with syn oils .Just think about the load on the engine when you run the boat.

If it is under warranty it would be prudent to stick with Yamalube, if not then use whatever suits you.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I am going to run the amsoil HP injector as I have heard and seen good things from it.

Try to log your fuel vs. oil consumption on a few trips to see what your avg injection pump ratio is. Some oils tend increase usage, shouldn't, but the pumps seem to pump more with thinner oils. If the setting was already on the rich side they can over oil. Some pumps are set rich for break in and then turned down at the 1st service. Not sure how Yami doing em though. It'll break in fine on synthetic, but if you had a problem the dealer might not agree (they usually just look to see if the color is oem). Stuck rings from trolling and over oiling kill way more motors than lack of lubrication from oil brand type or perceived quality.

Last edited:
Mix your oil 50:1 in your gas tank for the first tank full. Maybe two to be safe. If this is a bass boat, use a Synthetic after break in to let the engine break in. Yamalube is fine for break in but AmsOil is much better afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back