Brake shims and lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less is more?

I'm trying to open up the brakes once a year, if not twice. So a dab is ok, since it doesn't have to last years.

Not necessarily 'more' Less is just less wasted. You really just want to wet the surface. If you are sure that using more is fixing a certain type of noise, then you have a different problem and using more grease is just masking it. Nothing wrong with that, if your car is part of your well being... it's just not the right solution to the problem and you don't want to mess around with brakes since they are a SAFETY device.

Just did the job. No lube on the shims; no noise. All is well.
wink.gif

I did try the M77. Had to work the tube a bit as it had separated. Definately feels "better" than StaLube, but I won't know for another six months (when I pull it apart and check).

Have to say, I'm mad at myself: cleaning under the clips, on the caliper carrier, is stupid easy--once you remove the carrier! DUH! I might start doing that in the future.

Made sure to buy an extra set of clips. They're a pain to clean, and hopefully the new set of pads will last a few years, so I'll clean once or twice, then slap in new ones.

Do coated shims sometimes require a lubricant?

The FSM for my 2005 Subaru states to use lube for the shims. But the OEM pad and shim kit for my rear brakes did not include lube, and the FSM was not specific about exactly where to lube the shims. The shims have a smooth black coating on them.

I have some M77 on hand to lube the stainless steel pad clips.

Usually M77 for metal to metal areas and 3M silicone paste for caliper pins is all you should need.

The silicone paste for rubber parts (caliper pins) is important. I went through this ordeal with permatex green, permatex purple, ate plasti lube, sil glyde and finally ended up with the 3M. One jar will last the average person a lifetime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Wouldn't use a Permatex brake grease if they gave it away. It swells the lower slide pin bushings on my Toyota.

+1. It also dries out fast. I am pretty sure I have tried all of the Permantex brake greases and they all suck.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Do coated shims sometimes require a lubricant?

The FSM for my 2005 Subaru states to use lube for the shims. But the OEM pad and shim kit for my rear brakes did not include lube, and the FSM was not specific about exactly where to lube the shims. The shims have a smooth black coating on them.

I have some M77 on hand to lube the stainless steel pad clips.

A bit late to the game but here's my take on whether or not to lubricate brake pad shims.

Many claim you don't need to lubricate the shims and I was under that impression as well. However, back in 2005, my factory new Subaru Impreza developed squeaky rear brakes after its first Winter. Upon disassembly it turns out that road salt, grit and grime had "washed" its way between the shims (the black coated variety like yours) and the caliper/pad. There was no sign of residual lube so it appears that Subaru installed the shims dry at the factory. I cleaned and reassembled everything lubing the shims in the process. The brakes remained squeak free until the pads wore out many years later.

So now, whenever I do a brake job I lube the shims to prevent water spray from washing dirt and grime between the shims and other surfaces. Use something thick that will resist washout.

I pulled the wheels off my truck this week, and that Honda M77 moly was still there, doing its job, after sixish months. I'm impressed. It might very well be good for a year in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back