Brake pads and rotors.

personally I've had great success with the Bosch quietcast rotors, yes they are coated for rust. Usually last about 3-4 years here in Michigan which I'm impressed with! When installing the QuietCast rotors and measuring the run-out they've always been almost zero on my run-out gauge! The marketing said they added carbon to the cast iron mix for better braking performance.. I thought it was just marketing hype, no actually it does provide better braking grip!
And the price isn't bad at all either.. might want to look into those while you're shopping..

but brake pads, it all depends what do you want? Do you just want something decent, and no bedding in required.. I'd recommend akebono's line of ceramic pads. They even have a high performance line of ceramic pads..

my personally? I enjoy porterfields r4-s carbon/kevlar performance pad. But it's a street pad, unlike their race pads that need to be warmed up before they work.. the S in r4-s means street.. very important to get the right ones.. anyway.. It's a small shop in california that has been making pads since the 1980's. I think they started out racing corvettes. I've enjoyed their pads for a long time, double the friction from stock, works in cold weather (been used in -30 degree weather, fahrenheit), and lasts like 50k miles.. not bad for a performance pad, but not cheap, what is, when it's good? lol..

here is their link.. porterfield-brakes.com
The rotors come out to about $185. on Rock Auto.. those pads I definitely can't afford not on social security. I appreciate you telling me about them though.. I also have to pay somebody to put them on for me too.. the rotors are definite possibility.. do you know anything about the Bosch quiet cast brake pads?

Last edited:
I just put some Napa premium rotors and Adaptive One pads on the rear of my wife’s Volvo. Napa had a 15% off code to order online and pickup at the store. I’m really happy with them so far, and will put them on the front when they’re needed.

personally I've had great success with the Bosch quietcast rotors, yes they are coated for rust. Usually last about 3-4 years here in Michigan which I'm impressed with! When installing the QuietCast rotors and measuring the run-out they've always been almost zero on my run-out gauge! The marketing said they added carbon to the cast iron mix for better braking performance.. I thought it was just marketing hype, no actually it does provide better braking grip!
And the price isn't bad at all either.. might want to look into those while you're shopping..

but brake pads, it all depends what do you want? Do you just want something decent, and no bedding in required.. I'd recommend akebono's line of ceramic pads. They even have a high performance line of ceramic pads..

my personally? I enjoy porterfields r4-s carbon/kevlar performance pad. But it's a street pad, unlike their race pads that need to be warmed up before they work.. the S in r4-s means street.. very important to get the right ones.. anyway.. It's a small shop in california that has been making pads since the 1980's. I think they started out racing corvettes. I've enjoyed their pads for a long time, double the friction from stock, works in cold weather (been used in -30 degree weather, fahrenheit), and lasts like 50k miles.. not bad for a performance pad, but not cheap, what is, when it's good? lol..

here is their link.. porterfield-brakes.com

The rotors come out to about $185. on Rock Auto.. those pads I definitely can't afford not on social security. I appreciate you telling me about them though.. I also have to pay somebody to put them on for me too.. the rotors are definite possibility.. do you know anything about the Bosch quiet cast brake pads?

I apologize, I missed the part about you being on social security. Yes the porterfield brakes are NOT cheap, but I'm glad I could point you to the Bosch rotors.

I haven't used the quietcast pads.. But I did look them up and the images show they have friction grading GG which is the highest rating for friction on pads. And they are ceramic which means minimal if no breaking-in. About that friction grading.. The first letter is when they're cold and the second letter is when they're hot. Since they're ceramic it should be the same number. I saw them at rockauto, not a bad price! I looked up a 13 Ford Edge, 3.5L V6, took a chance at what engine you had. The bosch are around $30 front and $25 rear. Hey that might just work for you, but I'd take the chance and see if it's anything like their rotors, pads should be good. hope that helps.

Update: I just read Amazon reviews for the BC1377 which Rockauto says fits your Edge, those reviews lots of people loved the quietcast pads.

I apologize, I missed the part about you being on social security. Yes the porterfield brakes are NOT cheap, but I'm glad I could point you to the Bosch rotors.

I haven't used the quietcast pads.. But I did look them up and the images show they have friction grading GG which is the highest rating for friction on pads. And they are ceramic which means minimal if no breaking-in. About that friction grading.. The first letter is when they're cold and the second letter is when they're hot. Since they're ceramic it should be the same number. I saw them at rockauto, not a bad price! I looked up a 13 Ford Edge, 3.5L V6, took a chance at what engine you had. The bosch are around $30 front and $25 rear. Hey that might just work for you, but I'd take the chance and see if it's anything like their rotors, pads should be good. hope that helps.

Update: I just read Amazon reviews for the BC1377 which Rockauto says fits your Edge, those reviews lots of people loved the quietcast pads.
Hey thanks VERY MUCH I APPRECIATE IT ☺️☺️ is the Raybestos element 3 any better?

Last edited:
Potentially unpopular opinion, but after having what I thought were good rotors(NAPA gold) go out of round enough to cause a terrible vibration in braking on my MKZ, I bit the bullet and did Motorcraft pads and rotors all around.

I think my parts bill was over $400 at the dealer, which is probably 1.5x-2x what I could have paid on Rock Auto for front+read pads+rotors, but so far they've worked perfectly and I've not had any reason to swap for anything else.

Raybestos element 3 is all I’ve been using on personal vehicles and ones I’ve worked on outside of work for the last 3-4 years. No issues. The price is very good as well. I actually just put a set of the Element EHT pads on the rear of my truck this past weekend.

Potentially unpopular opinion, but after having what I thought were good rotors(NAPA gold) go out of round enough to cause a terrible vibration in braking on my MKZ, I bit the bullet and did Motorcraft pads and rotors all around.

I think my parts bill was over $400 at the dealer, which is probably 1.5x-2x what I could have paid on Rock Auto for front+read pads+rotors, but so far they've worked perfectly and I've not had any reason to swap for anything else.
I have thought about buying Motorcraft rotors and pads. I was thinking about purchasing them from Amazon, rock auto or just from a dealer online.

Hey thanks VERY MUCH I APPRECIATE IT ☺️☺️ is the Raybestos element 3 any better?

The Raybestos E3 is very popular on here. Their pads are a great performance to dollar ratio, especially from Rock Auto.

The rotors are coated so they don't rust overnight. The Raybestos E3 rotors or Power Stop coated rotors are both a great price from Rock Auto.

I have thought about buying Motorcraft rotors and pads. I was thinking about purchasing them from Amazon, rock auto or just from a dealer online.

Don't buy them from Amazon or eBay. Too many counterfeits. Rock Auto is safe.

Thank you.. My pads are still decent, but that's because the dealer pad slapped it 5 years ago right before I bought it. The rotors are original and getting thin.. probably gonna go with Bosch quiet cast rotors. Not a bad price.

Last edited:
Raybestos Element 3 rotors and pads come out to ~225 + shipping on Rock Auto. Can’t comment on rust/corrosion because even a Lancia won’t rust here but seems like they do well in this regard based on BITOG and I know they perform excellently with minimal dust even when towing.

Seems like Raybestos EHT 3 and Centric Posiquiets seems to be a hit or miss for some people.

How about Bosch quiet cast?

how about bosch quiet cast brake rotors? Yes please!! oh wait.. I wonder where I heard that before?! lol..
:p ok ok joking aside

but the other pads you mentioned, the raybestos element 3, I know lots of people around here like them. Just looked and they are actually a hybrid between ceramic and semi-metallic. I haven't used semi-metallic for awhile but what I do remember is they're not as kind to the rotor, but being a mix of both probably helps remove a bit of that behavior. Looking at the raybestos element 3 and the bosch quietcast pads, they both have a "GG" friction rating, so they probably behave alike, just two different formulations to get to the same place.

EDIT: I just looked at the bosch quietcast pads for my scion tC and they are offering both ceramic and semi-metallic formulations. But on your edge I think I only saw ceramic.. interesting..

Last edited:
Don't know about rotors, but I have installed 3 sets of Wagner Thermoquiet pads on 3 vehicles and have been awed everytime. Great performance (always improved) and great low wear.

how about bosch quiet cast brake rotors? Yes please!! oh wait.. I wonder where I heard that before?! lol..
:p ok ok joking aside

but the other pads you mentioned, the raybestos element 3, I know lots of people around here like them. Just looked and they are actually a hybrid between ceramic and semi-metallic. I haven't used semi-metallic for awhile but what I do remember is they're not as kind to the rotor, but being a mix of both probably helps remove a bit of that behavior. Looking at the raybestos element 3 and the bosch quietcast pads, they both have a "GG" friction rating, so they probably behave alike, just two different formulations to get to the same place.

EDIT: I just looked at the bosch quietcast pads for my scion tC and they are offering both ceramic and semi-metallic formulations. But on your edge I think I only saw ceramic.. interesting..
Don’t get stuck on GG ratings. I have track pads with EE rating and they are
Leaps and bounds better performance wise than Akebono GG rated POS I once put on my car for 3,000 miles and took them off bcs. Junk.
Most high performance pads on high performance vehicles are FF or FG.

Don’t get stuck on GG ratings. I have track pads with EE rating and they are
Leaps and bounds better performance wise than Akebono GG rated POS I once put on my car for 3,000 miles and took them off bcs. Junk.
Most high performance pads on high performance vehicles are FF or FG.
Since we're on the subject to friction ratings, what is the friction rating of the Motorcraft pads vs Raybestos E3 hybrid pads is GG I guess it's going to be totally different since one is ceramic and the other one is semi-metallic / ceramic.. Also curious how often does RockAuto replenish their stock. 🤔🤔

Since we're on the subject to friction ratings, what is the friction rating of the Motorcraft pads vs Raybestos E3 hybrid pads is GG I guess it's going to be totally different since one is ceramic and the other one is semi-metallic / ceramic.. Also curious how often does RockAuto replenish their stock. 🤔🤔
I have no idea what is their rating. I use on Toyota Raybestos rotors but stick to European pads (EBC, Pagid). On other two cars strictly Euro manufacturers.
But, some European manufacturers have semi-metallic pads GG and GF.

I just noticed, and after doing some digging the ACDelco professional line is made by Raybestos, are they any good, because if they are the same as the Raybestos Street line isn't that a better line?

Back