Brake lube as anti seize?

Went to replace my driver's side rear wheel hub/bearing assembly today and found it is completely rusted solid to the drum brake backing plate, so I ordered a new backing plate and will just remove the entire thing rather than continuing to try and beat it off with a hammer, since I also discovered my wheel cylinders are worse for wear and need to replace them too.

Obviously living in the northeast, I want to prevent the new bearing assembly from welding itself to the new backing plate so I was considering using permatex purple brake lube where the hub assembly mates to the backing plate, as I don't have any antiseize and really don't want to buy it for what would likely be a one time job.

Any reason using the brake lube would be a bad idea?

Well, brake lube is brake lube and anti-sieze is anti-sieze.
They are different products for different applications.
If you don't want to spring the $7 for a bottle of anti-sieze, you can usually buy the one time use blister packs at the counter at your local parts supplier for about $1.

For me, a few extra bucks spent to do it right is well worth avoiding the frustration of beating the heck out of it to get the thing off.

Use the right product for the right application. You'll be much happier you did so when it's time to take it apart 3+ years from now.

I have used it and had good results. I had used CRC Brake and caliper grease. Yes anti seize is the "proper" to use, actually though if you look in a factory service manual I doubt any of them have you applying anything on the hub face to prevent corrosion. So technically neither is correct.

I have used it and had good results. I had used CRC Brake and caliper grease. Yes anti seize is the "proper" to use, actually though if you look in a factory service manual I doubt any of them have you applying anything on the hub face to prevent corrosion. So technically neither is correct.
Yeah well they don't have to take them off after 3+ years of salt spray.

I'd buy the anti-seize, I've been using the same bottle for 10+ years now (gave in and bought another as it's drying out).

That said, I'd think grease of any sort will be better than nothing. Might want to check after a year and see if it's still holding up (or not). I like to go through my brakes every spring and freshen things up. After a winter things are often not in great shape: I can get a year between greasing pad ears and whatnot, but usually everything is dried out and starting to show signs of needing to have rust filed off and whatnot.

fluid film works good.. and you have the rest of the can for other stuff... lubing hedge trimmers etc.

Back