Brake line rupture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Do cars rust in North Carolina?

I get what you are writing, but I think maybe sometimes in brake lines it can work a little different in that it's also possible to rust from the inside out as well.

I've said it here before I know mine rusted from the inside out. This is a Texas vehicle. When I got the truck it's very likely the brake fluid was original. It looked like coffee with chunks of debris in it. I have since moved into the brake fluid every two years change now

it does make you think -- when I grew up, we had to rebuild several calipers and pistons due to seizing. We'd by the o-ring and seal, clean it up with steel wool, and put it back together. They would seize on the inside due to rust. Yet, the chassis of most of our vehicles were rust free. More rust inside than out.

On all of my cars as an adult, they get new brake fluid every 2-3 years. Knock on wood, I haven't had to replace any pistons or calipers under my care (excepting used cars new to the family).

-m

Living in MA and driving vintage vehicles, AKA old heaps, I replace brake lines on nearly every car I drive. Replacing brake lines isn't rocket surgery. I haven't switched to the copper/ steel lines, I just use 3/16 steel lines. So far,so good.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Replacing brake lines isn't rocket surgery. I haven't switched to the copper/ steel lines, I just use 3/16 steel lines. So far,so good.

I would love to have an excuse to buy a flaring tool, and even a tubing bender. But i'm out of time. With work and other things, i just have to prioritize. They can be replacing the lines, while i am doing other things. I just don't have the time at this point. I hate it, its the first non warranty trip to a shop in over 15 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
If you're so inclined a company called Inline Tube makes complete pre bent stainless lines for GM truck. I recently installed a full set on my friends 2007 GMC 2500HD after one of his original lines blew. Their fit and quality are fantastic. I highly recommend them.

Whats the advantage over copper? Is it to void any work hardening worries?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
If you're so inclined a company called Inline Tube makes complete pre bent stainless lines for GM truck. I recently installed a full set on my friends 2007 GMC 2500HD after one of his original lines blew. Their fit and quality are fantastic. I highly recommend them.

DOT approved copper doesn't work harden.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Ducked

DOT approved copper doesn't work harden.

Never said it did. I said there were "worries", which I guessed might be enough to get people to buy stainless.

DO all manufactures coat their lines now? The 98 Marquis has everything coated. It still did not stop a fitting from rusting to the line.

Happened twice in my lifetime and always on 10+ years American cars not that I think of it. I did a brake job on my father's 2003 Honda Accord (14 years old) a few weeks ago. Even though the car has liven in Western NY all its life, where plenty of last is put on the roads, let me tell you, all break lines were in a tip-top shape. No corrosion whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back