Brake line leaks - Tow dolly

Got this new tow dolly and trying to make it road ready... it was supposed to be road ready but that's a long story that I'm not particularly happy about. Anyways I can't get the line to stop leaking where it connects to the brass piece on the caliper. I'm 99% certain the crush washer isn't leaking. I got one side to stop by cranking it down but this side absolutely will not. I think it also leaks a little where the lines split.

I'm guessing that I need to pull all the lines off and reflare the ends? I have flared brake lines a few times and never had a leak. Actually I've never had a fitting leak. I don't work on brakes everyday and reflaring is the only thing I can think of unless there's a crack in the brass piece..

IMG_6123.JPG

Just a single flares on the connections to the calipers.. and the one I can't get to stop leaking has a deep gouge in the flare. Can't say I'm surprised.

Even though they are a pain, always use a double flare on brake lines.

I bet your brake line "gouge" is at the seem where the line was drawn over the mandrel to form the line.

Yes, double flaring tools are a pain in the ass. Yes, a single flare will work more often than it won't. Yes, I hate that DOT will not "certify" a repair made with a single flare on a brake line.

I can tell you this, as a 31 year ASE certified "master tech", double flares, bubble flares, JIC flares, single flares, flares in general, are all prone to leakage if not formed properly & I have had the most trouble with single flares used on a high-pressure hydraulic system, like your brakes.

Single flares are fine where pressures are less than 50psi. In hydraulic systems where pressures can reach 2500 psi or higher, a well-made double flare is required.

Rob

Got a kit from Harbor Freight and got the ends reflared... still leaks. Unfortunately had to trim the line back so now it's too short. I'm thinking about stopping by Napa and see they can assist with figuring out a flexible line and forgo the brass piece all together. In my mind it should have a flexible line even though it's a solid axle.. shouldn't the caliper be able to slide?

On another note I replaced the brake lines on the Festiva and not a leak go figure.

Back