Brake Lever Release Tool

As part of my winter tire rotation I pulled the brake drums and inspected the rear pads on my Ford Taurus. It took a fair amount of tough love with a rubber mallet to get the drums lose. I saw this You Tube video demonstrating a handy tool to unlock the brake lever in order to turn the star wheel to loosen the brake shoes from against the drum. The brake lever is shown just under the top spring, to the left. I checked the usual sources but could not find the tool. Its described in the video below. Does anyone have an idea where to get one? Thanks. Snag.

1A8106DE-C4EA-473B-9EF4-C7775C4D011A.jpeg

Last edited:
Somewhere, I have a CalVans ? spring removal tool that was a crank with a notch, That cost about $3.99 at an auto parts store 50 yrs ago. That and the spring compressor and the adjuster tool. Maybe 10 1971 hard earned bucks for all 3 for bugs all the way to the Rat. :cool:

Yes here is the link. Looks like the same tool in the video.

While you are there..

Made one of a coat hanger but my drum was not extremely hard to get off. Not as elegant as the other tool but it does not bother you if you lose one made of a coat hanger. The coat hanger version simply pushes the brake adjuster lever through the hole in backing plate. No rotation. You should feel a little spring tension as the tool pushes on the adjuster lever to release it from the star wheel. You do need to keep pressing to push the adjuster lever with the coat hanger tool while adjusting the star wheel. See the tip push the adjuster lever on last picture. Then adjust the star wheel with a brake adjuster tool.

Attachments

• brake adjuster lever tool.jpg
    brake adjuster lever tool.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 44
  • brake adjuster lever tool-3.jpg
    brake adjuster lever tool-3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 44
  • BRAKE ADJ LEVER TOOL IN ACTION-4.jpg
    BRAKE ADJ LEVER TOOL IN ACTION-4.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: JC1
Made one of a coat hanger but my drum was not extremely hard to get off. Not as elegant as the other tool but it does not bother you if you lose one made of a coat hanger. The coat hanger version simply pushes the brake adjuster lever through the hole in backing plate. No rotation. You should feel a little spring tension as the tool pushes on the adjuster lever to release it from the star wheel. You do need to keep pressing to push the adjuster lever with the coat hanger tool while adjusting the star wheel. See the tip push the adjuster lever on last picture. Then adjust the star wheel with a brake adjuster tool.

Nice job! Did you find that somewhere else, or you just Mcgiver'd it yourself?

The dude that made that video makes the tools to hold the adjuster lever off of the star wheel so you can use a brake spoon or screwdriver to turn the star wheel back and release the drum. Bought the set years ago, think it was 20 bucks at the time. I dont use them much anymore, only have 3 tauri left in the customer base and only one has drums on the back. Used to use those tools almost daily

I use 2 srewdrivers. 1 to push the lever back, 1 to turn the star wheel. But not all brakes have an access to do so.

Though to be fair, it's only an issue when the brakes need work, like drums machining or something is truly stuck

This is great. I know Chart from the taurusclub.com . He posted the same info on that forum as well, and the video is there also. I plan to make one. Thanks for that lead Trav and thanks Anually for pointing out the coat hanger idea. . Also, I found the VIM tool on Amazon.ca, the Canadian version of Amazon, but don’t know if that on will fit the Taurus as well as the Ford trucks. Another Bitog issue solved. Thanks guys.

Back