Brake caliper mounts - which side is which?

I've never encountered this before, but both of my rear caliper brackets are symmetrical and I've mixed them up. The only difference between the two is the slide pins in that one has a rubber bushing, the other does not. If you hold them together in the same orientation, one has the slide pin w/ rubber bushing on top, the other bottom. When installed in the vehicle, this puts the rubber bushing pins either top or bottom on both sides.

Some internet searching suggests that the pin w/ rubber bushing should go on the trailing side of the caliper mount. Is this correct? The trailing side would be bottom on this particular vehicle (caliper mounted toward the rear of the rear wheels).

I think the rubber section on the slider pins is more about preventing a clicking noise when brakes applied and then released, so if you're not certain just confirm one rubber slider per each side. Don't put both rubber segment pins on the same caliper bracket.

OEM's might have a different take.

I've never encountered this before, but both of my rear caliper brackets are symmetrical and I've mixed them up. The only difference between the two is the slide pins in that one has a rubber bushing, the other does not. If you hold them together in the same orientation, one has the slide pin w/ rubber bushing on top, the other bottom. When installed in the vehicle, this puts the rubber bushing pins either top or bottom on both sides.

Some internet searching suggests that the pin w/ rubber bushing should go on the trailing side of the caliper mount. Is this correct? The trailing side would be bottom on this particular vehicle (caliper mounted toward the rear of the rear wheels).
I think you might have got that bassackwards.

If the calipers are mounted towards the rear of the vehicle then the trailing side would be the upper slide pin.

If all else fails, resort to the service manual. Pin w/ rubber bushing goes on top (trailing).

bc.jpg

I eat my words. The factory service manual isn't very clear. It's some 3900 pages long, you have to pay attention to RPO codes. For my model (GNQ) the pin w/ bushing actually goes on BOTTOM, not top. On another RPO code (GNC, presumably FWD) the pin with bushing goes on top.

Not going to mix up parts again, learned my lesson. But it leaves me wondering how many quick brake / chain stores mess this up and how important it is?

bc2.jpg

Back