Bough NGK Ruthenium sparkplugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Imp4

Likely the choice for transverse V6's with difficult to reach rear banks, just like the OP has opted for.

And it might also matter in waste spark ignition systems too. Though, I've installed NGK G-Power plugs in an 4.0L SOHC Explorer almost two years ago. In hindsight, I should have used Denso's Iridium TT/Autolite Iridium XP, seeing how difficult it was to get to the plugs on the passenger side and the last two driver's side plugs.

The Denso Laser Iridium's always work right in the VQ, and reliably last 80-100,000+ miles or more unless you have a spark plug seal or valve cover gasket failure resulting in oil contamination. VQ's are good engines but can be finicky, I would just use the OEM plugs.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Also, the Denso Iridium TT's product sheet shows 100K mile lifespan, platinum ground electrode and all.

True indeed ^^^^^^

I have the Denso Iridium TTs in my Nissan Altima VQ right now..

Last edited:
Funny you mention the vq and denso. My wife's 2.5 has denso plugs and it's a 2018. My Nissan dealer said he sees both ngk and denso. Either way the 2.5 is so easy to replace plugs I could do it every oil change in 10 minutes. When I did my wife's 07 Murano it was 2 hrs and lots of busted knuckles.

Last edited:
Got the plugs changed today and put a new pcv valve in it also, while I had the upper plunum off and had easy access.
The oe plugs were Denso iridium, and looked quite good for 100k miles!

1579978631221751712539.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cronk
Got the plugs changed today and put a new pcv valve in it also, while I had the upper plunum off and had easy access.

Those look pretty worn tbh. It made a point out of the ground and center electrode. I don't think that's normal. It's good you changed them when you did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Those look pretty worn tbh. It made a point out of the ground and center electrode. I don't think that's normal. It's good you changed them when you did.

Agreed. Worn pretty good for 100K.

Maybe the pictures look decieving. Iridium plugs have a fine point center electrode, and there is also a point laser welded on the ground electrode.
The new pkugs going in didnt look much different than the oe, 100k mile plugs.

Maybe the pictures look decieving. Iridium plugs have a fine point center electrode, and there is also a point laser welded on the ground electrode.
The new pkugs going in didnt look much different than the oe, 100k mile plugs.

Both electrodes have a sag on them in the picture showing some wear. Maybe it's a bad picture but they don't look great.

It is t he lighting in the picture, no sag in the c electrodes. Here is one with better lighting.

That looks better, not amazing but better than the first pic. It's still a good thing you changed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back