bosch Iridium plugs any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am normally a NGK copper die hard when it comes to spark plugs for my turbo Neon, but I just noticed a bosch rebate listed on Amazon. Anyone have any good or bad reports on bosch plugs compared to NGK?

Anthony

All Iridium plugs are great. I became a believer when I took a set out of my daughter's Malibu MAXX with 110,000 miles on them, they looked like new !

I have always bought Bosch. I have Bosch Iridium plugs in my Nissan Murano, doing fine. I have Bosch+4 Platinum in my 1998 Corvette, my Chevy Van, and my Impala (changed before Iridium came out).

Last edited:
In my opinion, bosch is poo. In general their plugs cause issues on ford engines that were never there before. I would also just go double platnium for plugs instead of iridium, as that is what most cars require nowadays.

Ford owners: Just use Motorcraft,NGK,Or Autolite. Champion and Bosch cause ignition issues on most fords.

Copper for me, better engine response and milleage. Doesn't last long as iridium does, but what the F*****, a lot cheaper, Champions are like 6$ for a package of 2. I had NGK Iridium xd and its no better than copper. Depends of the car your drive I guess.

I normally use NGK V-POWER 4306's(around $2.50 a plug), as do most SRT4 owners. Stock plugs are Champions. I was interested in going Iridium since it seems these motors beat up on the V power plugs. They run good, but seems like I need to change them out every 10-15k miles to keep the engine running smooth.

At $4 a piece after rebate on the Bosch Iridiums, I just had to ask the forum about your take on these plugs. So far, its not looking good

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
I normally use NGK V-POWER 4306's(around $2.50 a plug), as do most SRT4 owners. Stock plugs are Champions. I was interested in going Iridium since it seems these motors beat up on the V power plugs. They run good, but seems like I need to change them out every 10-15k miles to keep the engine running smooth.

At $4 a piece after rebate on the Bosch Iridiums, I just had to ask the forum about your take on these plugs. So far, its not looking good
is v power copper?

Well maybe you should consider some technical facts:

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200°(F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, spark plug manufacturers have favored platinum for their long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point. However platinum alone is no longer enough, ultra long life spark plugs and smaller center electrodes required harder and stronger precious metals. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium makes it very well suited for a fine wire plug and for ultra long life spark plugs.

Don't think you want to compare these to copper !

Like I said before, these Iridium Plugs looked like NEW after 110,000 miles in my daughter's Malibu Maxx. I have never seen used plugs look so good !

Iridium Plugs are now standard in Corvettes.

Last edited:
From past reading on the SRT dedicated forum, it seems like platinum is not good for forced induction, copper is good but lacking in longevity, and not much for reviews on iridiums used in forced induction application.

I guess for $16 I can afford to give them a shot. I just hope the quality is there to where I dont have to worry about the electrode falling off and being sent thru the exhaust valve and turbo.

From past reading on the SRT dedicated forum, it seems like platinum is not good for forced induction, copper is good but lacking in longevity, and not much for reviews on iridiums used in forced induction application.

I guess for $16 I can afford to give them a shot. I just hope the quality is there to where I dont have to worry about the electrode falling off and being sent thru the exhaust valve and turbo.

Long Life iridiums are oem in our RDX which is FI.

if they are the "new" redesigned bosch iridiums, then use without worries. I have a set running in my gf's civic , engine runs steady and smooth and mpg has remained the same as NGK G power platinum plugs.

If you want the best iridium, I would recommend NGK IX series if you can find them for your car. Made a noticeable difference in power/economy in my 3.2TL vs Denso Platinum TT which were 2k miles old.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If you love copper so much, why not get copper iridiums?
Do you know where the copper is, and what it does?

No such thing. The copper/iridium is used in the electrode.

Copper melts at 1983 F compared to Iridium at 4440 F !

Last edited:

The electrode is not going to fall off, Bosch plugs are well made they just don't work as well as oem im many applications. I would not use them, I don't like to use anything but oem plugs in stock engines.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

No they are copper core with nickel electrodes.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

No they are copper core with nickel electrodes.

Melting point of nickel is 2646 F.

When I had my 99 GTP all I ran was NGK Iridium as the coppers would only last one oil change, this was 3,000 mile changes too!
The super charger would just wear them down to nothing. Btw I did have a smaller pully,cai, u bend delete, reflashed computer, etc. So this was not stock.
Again the Iridiums lasted the longest and I had the best response with them.
Now the Bosch platinum 2+,4+ are all junk for what you pay for. And are not something I would run in any vehicle with force induction. Just my 2¢.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back