Bosch 450906288 Diesel Fuel Filter Cut Open (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find a fuel filter forum so I put this Diesel fuel filter post in the oil filter forum. Mods, feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate if there is such a place. Besides, Diesel fuel is kind of like a light oil, right?
wink.gif

This unit was in service on my 2003 Jetta TDI for 42,000 miles over 14 months.

Bosch_Exterior_1.jpg

Bosch_Top_2.jpg

The filter media is wrapped around a plastic tube which is sealed at the top by being pressed into a piece of felt surrounding the fuel outlet.

Bosch_Open_3.jpg

The media feels like a light kraft paper. The seam is a heavy bead of hard, clear adhesive, which is visible on the far right of the media in this view.

The dark band at the top of the media is from contact with the dirty cutting wheels on my Harbor Freight cutter.

Bosch_Parts_4.jpg

Bottom view of the filter media.

Bosch_Media_6.jpg

Top view of the media.

Bosch_Media_Bottom_7.jpg

This is a view into the filter body showing a separate part that acts as a bottom support for the filter media. The space below this bottom support is dead volume for the accumulation of water.

Bosch_Interior_8.jpg

With the support piece removed you can see the inside of the water drain valve at the bottom of the filter body.

Bosch_Interior2.jpg

The major components in relation to one another.

Bosch_Parts_5.jpg

The filter paper is very light compared to typical cellulose media on oil filters. The filter element is actually made from media that is twice as wide as the assembly is tall, by folding it over at the bottom, and sealing the open end at the top.

Bosch_Media_Torn_9.jpg

There was a variant of this on big rig good for 60000 miles.basicly a toilet paper roll.supposedly centrifugal forcrle cleaned the oil.yep toilet roll with core of cardboard removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back