Bosch 3330 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

I cut open a Bosch 3330 filter this AM. A few observations - first, the can is thin at .33mm (.013"). Not a significant concern.

This filter was run over 2 oil changes, and the pics illustrate media tearing near both end caps. The media seemed weak and torn away easily from end caps. It's a decent filter for 8K KM operation, but not for 16K KM. This does not represent science, only my observations and opinions.
55.gif

Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Sienna
Service time: ~1yr
Service mileage: ~16,000km

Last edited:
Considering a Bosch Premium isn't really much cheaper than a Fram Tough Guard, or even an Ultra, might be time to cross them off the approved list as well. Thought they would be fine for 10,000 miles, guess I was wrong.

Same flawed design from Purolator.

In this case however, Purolator defenders can argue the fci is too long.

Wow. EXACT same failure as has been posted here on Brand P. in the past. Is this Bosch model Purolator-built?

I'm starting to wonder if the act of disassembly is doing this. Even with a filter cutter, if the can distorts or bends as the final twist is made to finish the cut, it could torque the media and (maybe?) tear it.

That's the problem. These tears don't turn up on new filters, only used. The filters may fail due to usage, pressure, etc. but they only show up after we've used a pipe cutter, can opener or hack saw to open. Yes, we are all careful, but if I am Purolator or Bosch, I would be reluctant to accept responsibility when the opening was not under their controlled conditions. Having said that, P seems to acknowledge that a problem may have occurred.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Wow. EXACT same failure as has been posted here on Brand P. in the past. Is this Bosch model Purolator-built?

I'm starting to wonder if the act of disassembly is doing this. Even with a filter cutter, if the can distorts or bends as the final twist is made to finish the cut, it could torque the media and (maybe?) tear it?
Thing is, the media cartridge really isn't attached to the can on either end-the leaf spring keeps pressure on the cartridge & presses it against the ADBV. When you cut the can (esp. with a filter or exhaust cutter), there's really no force on the media cartridge at all.

These are not the result of the opening process.

Concerning that so many product lines have this same flaw...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I'm starting to wonder if the act of disassembly is doing this. Even with a filter cutter, if the can distorts or bends as the final twist is made to finish the cut, it could torque the media and (maybe?) tear it?
Thing is, the media cartridge really isn't attached to the can on either end-the leaf spring keeps pressure on the cartridge & presses it against the ADBV. When you cut the can (esp. with a filter or exhaust cutter), there's really no force on the media cartridge at all.

Maybe. Or maybe when the can is cut all the way around except at ONE spot an eighth of an inch wide and you grab it to twist again, it rotates around that one spot still attached and tweaks the medium. I'm always super paranoid about that, but I've had it happen quite a few times... never torn a filter, but I can imagine it happening.

Again, just covering all bases. My hunch is that the failures are real. Best argument for cartridge filters ever. You can see them before you put them in, and there's no reason they should get damaged when you pick them out after use, either.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
That's the problem. These tears don't turn up on new filters, only used. The filters may fail due to usage, pressure, etc. but they only show up after we've used a pipe cutter, can opener or hack saw to open. Yes, we are all careful, but if I am Purolator or Bosch, I would be reluctant to accept responsibility when the opening was not under their controlled conditions. Having said that, P seems to acknowledge that a problem may have occurred.

If the tears were created during cutting open, then explain why the pleats have tears on both ends. People do not cut open both ends of the filters. And many here use a filter cutting tool, which will not damage the media. And if someone does nick the media when using a hacksaw, etc it's pretty obvious that the damage was from a tool and not from media ripping open due to oil flow force.

The fact they all seem to be ripping pleats in the exact same spot, either side of the crimped seam, and the (too wide) spacing of the pleats in the potting material in the end caps is still visible is enough for me.

I've cut several ACDelco filters open with a Dremel and never saw any tears. There's a space between the outer can and the filter media anyway.

That bosch filter has cardboard media!
laugh.gif

Very glad I returned mine when I did. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
The poster is right. This filter if good for 8000 miles, maximum. That's OK. 16000 miles is way too many.

It was 16,000 km ... which is 9,942 miles.

So my Walmart were clearing out these Bosch Premium Filters as the Fram Filters are brought back. Managed to get the cartridge filter medias for my 07 Sienna for only $3 a piece. Although I haven't experience any problem with their Purolator Classic cartridge filter, probably wouldn't be comfortable running it for an extended oil change interval. I don't know how well these Bosch Premium "Filtech" media performs, as I recently just putted one on. I did noticed the poor glueing job on the end caps; strings of the adhesive would get all over the filtering body of the media and end caps themselves. But at the end of it, you shouldn't run an regular oil filter for a period of 2 oil changes and 16000km. Bosch does make a Distance Plus filter to handle long change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back