Borg Warner M51

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a BW M51 tranny in my car and the manual ask for some Dexron 2 fluid in it. However, I do some heavy towing in my car most of the time and I recently found that the fluid turns to dark red / brown and creates a burnt smell in a short period of time. Is there a better subtitute compared to the standard Dexron 2 fluid? I was thinking of using Castrol full synthetic dexron 3 but I'm not sure if it will be compatible with my current fluid or not as well as its reputation.

Thanks for all your help.

Is this an automatic or manual? Synthetic is the way to go for an autobox that sees a lot of towing. It takes the higher temps much better. I am partial to Amsoil universal ATF. Consider installing a heavy duty tranny fluid cooler to keep things cool. If its a manual that requires ATF, synthetic is still a good choice, IMHO.

ya, it's an old fashioned 3 speed auto box and I've already got a tranny cooler (not a big one. but should be enough according to Ford) that came with the heavy duty tow pack. However, I still got pretty bad, burnt ATF out around every 5000-10000km, just doesn't seem right to me. I guess it's got something to do with the fluid used in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back