Boat Wax Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for people with real experiences here, not theory. Not trying to be a weirdo, just wanted some people to chime in here with first hand experiences.

This past winter, I cleaned up my brother 36' Tiara. I used 2 coats of Collinite #925 cleaner wax, and then applied 2 coats of the Collinite #885 waste wax with proper cure times between coats. This is a freshwater boat.

The hull, which hasn't been washed yet, is still immaculate.

From what I've read, Starbrite deck wash with PTFE is wax safe. This boat has a lot of non-skid surfaces on the topside, and this is the soap I use to wash the topside of the boat. After 1-2 washings with Starbrite, all the wax is GONE. the surface is very dull and contaminates are beginning to embed themselves into the gelcoat.

From your experiences, what have you used that is totally wax safe? I busted my hump and used good products to clean and wax the boat....products that are supposed to last a long time, and are harder to apply, but are worth it. All my hard work is gone already.

Is there really not a boat wash that is wax safe? Do they all remove wax?

A lot of people like "sealants" like Rejex instead of wax. Synthetic polymers, not wax. Is this my problem. I would think that 2 coats of #885 would hold up though just fine.

I'm sure I just used the wrong soap/wash solution. Can anyone lend me a hand? Next year, when I re-wax the boat, I want to make sure I have the right soap so I don't get this frustrated again.

I have used collinte wax on boats with great results. use thin coats and it will last a long time .

Originally Posted By: matrass
I have used collinte wax on boats with great results. use thin coats and it will last a long time .

Oh yeah, I used thin coats. Used a Makita wheel to put it on. Buffed it off by hand. The stuff is amazing before and after.

Since your wax lasted a long time....what do you wash your boat with?

I think normal boat wash soap will be fine. But I think most of the non skid deck cleaners remove wax. I know some say they do not. I have recently bought some that says it does not, but have not tried it yet.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: matrass

Oh yeah, I used thin coats. Used a Makita wheel to put it on. Buffed it off by hand. The stuff is amazing before and after.

Since your wax lasted a long time....what do you wash your boat with?

I wash my boats with ONR ( optimum no rinse ) you can use anything like meguiars or poorboys etc.something that is not too harsh that would strip the wax ( like chemical guys has some soaps that need to be diluted)

We wash the boat in the VI with regular car wash soap, and the awlgrip looks like brand new.

Use Boat Zoap for general cleaning, soft scrub for stubborn stains.

The wax on my boat lasts most of the season, but the sun kills the topsides so I usually hit them up again in August.

Awgrip makes a great soap if the boat is painted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm looking for people with real experiences here, not theory. Not trying to be a weirdo, just wanted some people to chime in here with first hand experiences.

This past winter, I cleaned up my brother 36' Tiara. I used 2 coats of Collinite #925 cleaner wax, and then applied 2 coats of the Collinite #885 waste wax with proper cure times between coats. This is a freshwater boat.

The hull, which hasn't been washed yet, is still immaculate.

From what I've read, Starbrite deck wash with PTFE is wax safe. This boat has a lot of non-skid surfaces on the topside, and this is the soap I use to wash the topside of the boat. After 1-2 washings with Starbrite, all the wax is GONE. the surface is very dull and contaminates are beginning to embed themselves into the gelcoat.

From your experiences, what have you used that is totally wax safe? I busted my hump and used good products to clean and wax the boat....products that are supposed to last a long time, and are harder to apply, but are worth it. All my hard work is gone already.

Is there really not a boat wash that is wax safe? Do they all remove wax?

A lot of people like "sealants" like Rejex instead of wax. Synthetic polymers, not wax. Is this my problem. I would think that 2 coats of #885 would hold up though just fine.

I'm sure I just used the wrong soap/wash solution. Can anyone lend me a hand? Next year, when I re-wax the boat, I want to make sure I have the right soap so I don't get this frustrated again.

Perhaps you may want to consider OptiCoat 2.0? Assuming that it's compatible, this would be a permanent product.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto...inted-boat.html

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

My friend has a 40 footer. He knew I was into detailing my car. He asked me what I would use on a boat. I told him Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner and Rejex. He couldn't bee happier. He loves how the boat came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back