Boat not in the water yet - exhaust manifold overheat - DTC 441 & 442

My boat is on rack storage and I can ask for it to be put on a work rack or in the water. There is not cost for either. I could request it every day it's warm (April to Nov). No charge beyond the storage fee.

Only fee is if I want it on a trailer more than 2X a year. They charge $75 then.

But if the engine is at the proper temp but exhaust manifold is hot then the sea water cooling is is getting enough water on muffs

But a final test would be in the water.

Ok problem resolved. Ran engine for 20 min today at 1500 rpm and the higher than idle speed purged the air out.

Engine exhaust manifolds got to about 170F. As measured by IR heat gun.

There is a label on the expansion tanks saying to run the engine at 1500 rpm for 15 min after filling the expansion tank. But it was small print and hard for me to read. Wish I had read it first.

Last edited:
This story reminds me of why I only purchase outboards now. For one thing, they don't have catalytic converters.

This story reminds me of why I only purchase outboards now. For one thing, they don't have catalytic converters.
There are certainly pros and cons for outboards and for I/O.

I have not had an outboard since my Johnson 2-cycle 115 HP. It was pretty easy to work on with the cover off. I think the current high horsepower outboards are more reliable but if they do need service most people are probably going to bring it to a dealer.

I like that the swim platform clear. And that the engine is all open in the engine bay. And my engine has closed cooling so only antifreeze flows through the engine and exhaust manifold.

A GM 5.7 engine is a very heavy duty engine that is hard to kill.

Last edited:
There are certainly pros and cons for outboards and for I/O.

I have not had an outboard since my Johnson 2-cycle 115 HP. It was pretty easy to work on with the cover off. I think the current high horsepower outboards are more reliable but if they do need service most people are probably going to bring it to a dealer.
I had a Johnson 115 that was the most trouble-free low maintenance motor that I have ever owned. The last I/O that I owned caused me a LOT of grief.

Back