BMW X5 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased an '07 X5 4.8 w/sport package a month ago. It has just over 74,000 miles and I am thinking about changing the ATF fluid and filter. From what I read on the Bimmer posts they recommend only BMW approved ATF. The specs call for a GL-4 ATF. I would like to use a synthetic like Amsoil AFT or Redline AFT. Do I ned to get the oil from the BMW dealer?

Stick to using an ATF from a major oil company that lists your exact engine in their oil finder if you don't want to use the real McCoy fluid. Castrol, Mobil, Shell and Liqui Moly are the main oil companies that BMW owners rely on in Germany and they all have good oil finder web site pages.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Unlikely. I'd call Redline personally, and see what they have to say.

Agreed. I would do a drain and fill every 30k or 3 years.

BMW used GM and ZF transmissions in the 2007 X5, go to realoem.com and put your vin number in, this will tell you exactly which transmission you have but with the V8 am sure it is the ZF, which is a good thing,

Try Redline D4 atf. It's listed as having a GL-4 level of protection, and is listed for most BMW's.

I took a few minutes and looked it up on our system here at work and it states that shell m-1375.4 is the OEM fill, as a side note it states NOT TO MIX ANY OTHER atf with this fluid. You may want to look into that as well...

ATF I would go with OEM stuff, I experienced poor shifting with 3 different ATFs on my Corolla, that's why I would recommend dealer stuff all the way after that.

REDLINE / MOBIL / SHELL / and liqui moly are also good choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back